Re-enrolment for returning students


Gmail moved to Microsoft 365

Current students! Remember, we have moved from Google to Microsoft 365, so to get access to your emails, use Outlook instead of Gmail.

Key enrolment dates and reminders

  • 26 September (Welcome Week).
  • You are expected to be fully enrolled by Friday 30 September 2022.
  • 3 October (Start of Lectures) - You will need to be enrolled to receive full access to course materials, timetables, and any student funding that you may be eligible for.

All returning students must re-enrol at the start of each academic year. You cannot continue your studies without re-enrolling. 

On this page you will be able to re-enrol if you are a returning student - you will be sent an invitation to enrol via email.

If you are a new student, please follow our process for enrolment.

Enrolment for returning students

If you are a returning student, please follow the re-enrolment process:

Students who have taken part in late summer resits will be invited to enrol from 16 September 2022.

Returning postgraduate research students will be invited to enrol from 22 August 2022.

The deadline for completing enrolment is 30 September 2022.

If you have any queries, please contact us through SID (Student Information Desk) to speak with the relevant enrolment team.

If you need to request an enrolment change, please see Enrolment Changes (current students) to find out more information regarding this process.

Enrolling as a continuing student

If you are continuing or repeating a year of study, you will need to enrol online before returning to your studies.

If you are not a British or Irish citizen and the immigration document you previously provided to us has expired or you are returning from interruption or a period of non-attendance or you are an EU national/eligible family member who previously did not provide us with evidence of status under the EUSS/ Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man’s settlement schemes status you must upload the following documents:

  • Your passport (photo ID page). 
  • Your BRP or share code confirming your settled/pre-settled status or
  • Letter/email from UKVI confirming submission of a valid immigration application.

Pending applications

If you have an application pending for any of the above immigration categories, we reserve the right to contact the Home Office (UKVI) for confirmation of your right to study before allowing you to commence enrolment.

We will ask you to confirm in writing (via email) for the Home/UKVI Office to share information about you and your immigration history/status.

Please note that such requests can take five or more working days to process.

Pending appeals

If you have an outstanding appeal against a Home Office decision to refuse an application for any of the above immigration categories, SOAS will contact the Home Office/UKVI for confirmation of your right to study before allowing you to enrolment/re-enrol. We will ask you to consent to them sharing information about you/your immigration history/status with SOAS Please note that such requests can take five or more working days to process.

Change in circumstances

We understand that circumstances may change. If this is the case and you no longer meet the conditions under which you were granted UK immigration permission, you may lose the right to study even though you have a valid residence card or other proof of immigration status, e.g. your permission to stay is on the basis of your relationship and your relationship breaks down permanently. Please speak with our Student Visa Compliance team ( if this applies to you.

If you have any questions, please contact the Enrolment team via the Student Information Desk (SID). 

 If you don’t hold any of the relevant documents, we may accept other forms of photo ID - Please contact us via the Student Information Desk and we will let you know whether your alternatives are acceptable.

EEA students and eligible family members with settled or pre-settled status under the European Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

  • Passport or EU nationality card;
  • a digital ‘share code’ to allow us to check your right to study in the UK. You can get a digital share code on the GOV.UK website; or
  • a Certificate of Application.

Other International students 

  • Passport (photo ID page);
  • Visa vignette (with UK entry date stamp unless you used the e-visa gates);
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), if available
  • Visa Approval Letter (provided by the UKVI confirming your visa and details for collection of your BRP), if available
  • If you were issued with a e-visa/digital immigration status-provide a share-code

If you’re in the process of applying for a visa

If you are in the process of applying for a visa, we will need to see the following instead:

  • A copy of the photo page of your passport; and
  • A copy of your current/previous visa; and
  • A copy of your visa application - This should clearly show the type of visa you’ve applied for and if it’s a Student Visa, we’ll need to see the section showing your CAS number and our sponsorship; or if you have a pending appeal a copy of the appeal or other evidence confirming the pending appeal. 

If you have any questions, please contact the Enrolment team through the Student Information Desk (SID) (login required).

If you don’t hold any of these documents, we may accept other forms of photo ID - Please contact us via the Student Information Desk and we  will let you know whether your alternatives are acceptable.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are fixed for the duration of your study on a program. The annual fees apply for a standard number of credits per year (eg 120 credits at undergraduate, 180 credits at postgraduate).

Additional modules taken above this amount will attract a module retake fee.

If you are self-funding, tuition fees are payable in full before or at enrolment at the beginning of the academic year. Fee payments can be made by credit/debit card online or on the telephone, by cheque, bank transfer.

For further information on the payment terms, payments, and queries, please visit our Tuition fees page.

Visa Conditions and responsibilities for Sponsored visa students (Student route/Tier 4)

Listed below are the conditions attached to your student visa. You must follow these conditions as failure to do so could lead to withdrawal from the course and the cancellation of your visa. By completing the online enrolment all new and continuing students on a student visa (Tier 4) sponsored by SOAS for visa purposes, are also confirming that they will adhere to the following visa conditions and responsibilities.

To enrol on your course, you must provide the following documents as evidence of your right to study in the UK:

  • The photo page of your passport; and
  • Visa vignette (stamped showing date of UK entry unless you are eligible to use the e-Gates) or E-visa/digital immigration status.
  • The front and back of your biometric residence permit (BRP), if available; or 
  • Evidence that you have submitted a visa application (such as the online Document Checklist)

Other responsibilities and conditions of your Student route visa

  • Ensure all your immigration documents and passport are current and inform SOAS University if there are any changes to the documents (new passport, BRP etc) or changes to your personal circumstances (such as immigration permission or name change)
  • Enrol for your course on time when appropriate, including re-enrolment for additional studies.
  • Attend all classes and any other academic engagements, notifying your tutors/supervisors if you are going to be absent
  • Make satisfactory academic progress on your course, meeting all scheduled deadlines
  • Seek permission if you require authorised absence for a short-period due to personal reasons.
  • Ensure that your contact details with SOAS University and UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) are up to date. You can update your contact details (address and phone number) during term time by visiting the Online Student Services portal You can access the online UKVI form to update your details with UKVI. Students should be based in London or within a reasonable traveling distance to the SOAS campus during term time.
  • Only work the number of hours as permitted by your Student visa. Further Education (FE) students are currently permitted to work 10 hours per week during term time. Postgraduate and Undergraduate students are currently permitted to work 20 hours per week during term time. Please note that Postgraduate students must adhere to the 20 hours per week rule during their summer term (June to September).
  • Contact: if there are changes in your course status. For example, if you will be withdrawing, deferring your studies or changing course. This does not apply if you do not hold a Student route/Tier 4 visa.
  • Ensure that you do not overstay your visa and where necessary, submit a new visa application before your current visa expires if you are eligible to do so
  • Ensure that you check your SOAS email regularly so you can act appropriately and in a timely manner to any communication related to your student visa status. SOAS will normally use this email to contact you during your studies.

For further information please visit our dedicated page for Visa sponsorship and compliance. Please also refer to the UKCISA information on Protecting your Student status for more guidance.