Bernard Buckman Scholarship
- Deadline date
The Bernard Buckman Scholarship was established in 1992 with generous support by Mrs Buckman in memory of her late husband who was a Governor of the School. There is one Bernard Buckman Scholarship available which will go towards the cost of tuition fees, valued at £6,000.
- The full-time MA Chinese Studies programme
- The full-time MA Advanced Chinese Studies programme
- Part-time programmes are not eligible
- New admissions only (programmes starting in September 2024)
- Open to applicants paying fees at the UK/EU rate only.
- Applicants must possess a good honours degree from a UK university or an equivalent institution recognised by SOAS.
- New Scholarship applicants must have applied to SOAS but are not required to have received an offer of admission by the scholarship deadline. An offer will have been received by the time the relevant panel meets to discuss scholarship applications.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS. If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Please note that this scholarship does not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of three academic members.
- The assessment of your application will be based on the information provided in your scholarship application and in your on-line application for admission. Selectors will be looking at the degree results and also at academic references, statement and other relevant information.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 12:00pm (midday UK local time) on 3 May 2024.
- You must submit a complete application for the MA in Chinese Studies and then submit an application for this scholarship, in order to be considered. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- You will need to have a firm offer for your programme by the time the Scholarship panel meet.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship Application Procedures
There is a two-step procedure:
- Step 1: Apply for your programme
Guidance for applying for Postgraduate Admissions and information on what makes an application can be found here for How to Apply.
- STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 12:00pm (midday UK local time) on 3 May 2024
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form.
Notification of Results
Due to the competitive nature of the award only the successful candidates will be notified by July 2024, at the latest. If you have not heard from the Scholarships by then, you should assume that your application was unsuccessful.
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships department:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5090