The Centre for Global Finance (CGF) scholarship
- Deadline date
- 1 award for a UK student (tuition fees and a stipend of £16,802) and 1 award for an International student (tuition fees and a stipend of £16,802).
The SOAS Centre for Global Finance (CGF) is pleased to invite applications for two PhD Scholarships (one UK and one International student), starting in September 2023.
This scholarship is designed to support students wishing to undertake doctoral research in Finance and support the research of the AXA Chair in Global Finance, held by Professor Victor Murinde, in the School of Finance and Management, at SOAS University of London.
Each scholarship will be given for a period of three academic years from September 2023 to enable completion of the PhD Programme pursued by the scholarship recipient.
The scholarship includes tuition fees for 3 academic years and stipend of £16,802 per year.
The CGF is a leading research centre in the School of Finance and Management (SFM) at SOAS University of London. It undertakes rigorous research that aims to significantly enhance the knowledge, practice, and policy in the field of finance. The current research programme of the CGF are embedded in four research projects: AXA Chair in Global Finance, Inclusive Finance, Financial Systems in China, and UK-India FinTech Project.
- The full-time MPhil/PHD Finance and Management - September 2023 entry only, whose thesis topic should focus on finance, broadly defined
- Applicants who are commencing their studies from September 2023
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Applicants must possess a first class or a good upper second class undergraduate degree (or its equivalent in the case of non-UK candidates) plus a good merit or distinction (or equivalent) at a Masters level.
- Applicants must submit a research proposal, which must focus on the research programme of the CGF . Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2020) should provide evidence of this in the research proposal of their admission application.
- Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2020) should include in their personal statement details of their research skills and future academic or career plans . It is important that the applicants' referees comment on the candidate’s research skill, especially with respect to the theory work or econometric applications.
- Applicants must hold an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible programmes by the time selection at SOAS takes place. It is expected the selection will start shortly after the scholarships deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible
- Please note that this scholarship does not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals.
- Candidates will be assessed based on the above criteria and the shortlists will be interviewed by a panel of members from the Centre for Global Finance and the School of Finance and Management.
Scholarship application deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 23:59 (UK local time) on 28 February 2023
- Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Notification of results
Due to the competitive nature of the award only the successful candidates will be notified by the end of March 2023. If you have not heard from us then, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship application procedures
Apply for your programme
You must follow two steps:
Guidance for applying for Research Admission and information on what makes an application can be found on how to apply (research)
Apply for the scholarship by 23:59 (UK local time) on 28 February 2023.
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form.
For enquiries, please contact:
Phone: +44 (0)20 7074 5090