The Centre for Global Finance (CGF) scholarship
- Deadline date
The Centre for Global Finance (CGF) is pleased to invite applications for one PhD Scholarship, starting from September 2020. This scholarship is designed to support the research of the AXA Chair in Global Finance, held by Professor Victor Murinde, in the School of Finance and Management, at SOAS University of London.
The CGF undertakes rigorous research and provide the first point of call for stakeholders (researchers, policy makers and practitioners), on large datasets and evidence on mega trends in global finance, and how these mega trends are shaping developments in the international financial system and the global economy.
The research programme of the CGF is structured around new research projects, led by distinguished researchers within the CGF and the School of Finance and Management (SFM), including, among others:
- The DFID-ESRC research project on ‘Inclusive Finance’, see Inclusive Finance: Delivering Inclusive Financial Development and Growth;
- Research supported by the AXA Research Fund, see AXA Chair in Global Finance.
- The AXA Chair in Global Finance research programme; see AXA Research Fund announcement.
- The ESRC – NSFC project on “Research on China's Financial System towards Sustainable Growth: The Role of Innovation, Diversity and Financial Regulation”; see Financial Systems in China.
As an integral element of this growth, the CGF and the SFM seek to attract additional talent, via a highly promising PhD student.
The scholarship is for a Home/EU applicant and is valued at £20,897 in total. Fees will be deducted from this amount and the remainder will be used toward maintenance. Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarship may be renewed for the normal duration of a full-time student’s registration. The normal duration of a full-time student’s registration for a research degree is three years. The award is therefore renewable for up to a further two years.
- The full-time MPhil/PHD Finance and Management - September 2020 entry only, whose thesis topic focuses on the research programme of the CGF.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Applicants must possess a first class or a good upper second class undergraduate degree (or its equivalent in the case of non-UK candidates) plus a good merit or distinction (or equivalent) at a Masters level.
- This scholarship is open to UK/EU applicants only
- Applicants must submit a research proposal, which must focus on the research programme of the CGF . Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2020) should provide evidence of this in the research proposal of their admission application.
- Applicants (new admissions, i.e. starting in September 2020) should include in their personal statement details of their research skills and future academic or career plans . It is important that the applicants' referees comment on the candidate’s research skill, especially with respect to the theory work or econometric applications.
- Applicants must hold an offer of admission to pursue one of the eligible programmes by the time selection at SOAS takes place. It is expected the selection will start shortly after the scholarships deadline.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible but no later than 11:59 (UK local time) on 31 August 2020 (extended from 1 June 2020). If your offer is conditional on English, please arrange your English test and ensure you meet the English requirements as soon as possible.
- Please note that most scholarships do not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals. Please check the wording of your scholarship offer carefully to see if you are eligible for a Pre-sessional course or whether you need to achieve SOAS direct entry scores by the deadline specified in your scholarship terms and conditions.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel consisting of the AXA Chair in Global Finance plus two academic members of the CGF and SFM.
- Academic references, degree results, personal statement, CV, research proposal and other relevant information in your application will be considered to assess the academic merit of the applicant
- The decision of the Selection Panel will be final.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received no later than 15:00 (UK local time) on 31 July 2020 (extended from 30 April 2020)
- You must submit a complete online application to your programme by 11:59 (UK local time) on 3 July 2020 (extended from 31 March 2020).Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Notification of Results
Successful candidates will be notified early September. If you have not heard from us by early September, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship Application Procedures
You must follow two steps:
STEP 1: Apply for the full-time MPhil/PhD Finance and Management (September Entry) by 11:59 (UK local time) on 3 July 2020.
Applicants must submit a complete on-line application for admission .
A complete application for admission includes transcripts, an explanation of the grading system for any degrees obtained outside of the UK, two references, CV, research proposal and a personal statement. The panel will be considering your scholarship application TOGETHER with your online application for admission. Please note that complete application for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
For information on what constitutes a complete application for admissions, please see the guidance section in How to Apply .
STEP 2: Apply for the scholarship by 15:00 (UK local time) on 31 July 2020.
You must apply for this scholarship via the on-line scholarship application form .
For enquiries, please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5083