Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Studentships
- Deadline date
- £4,712 tuition fee, and a minimum stipend of £20,622. Preliminary Applications only!
SOAS is a member of the UBEL Doctoral Training Partnership (UBEL-DTP), alongside UCL, Birkbeck, the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the University of East London. The Partnership provides ESRC funding for over 40 new PhD studentships each year.
Application and deadlines
ESRC applications for funding are now open
UBEL DTP Preliminary Applications for ESRC funding are open until 15 January 2024 23:59 (UK Local time).
Candidates should make an online application via the Survey Monkey Apply portal. The application will consist of a preliminary form (including a proposed research summary) and equal opportunities information.
References and a full research proposal are not expected at this stage of the competition.
Prospective students should closely read the resources in the “Useful documents” section above, to help complete their application.
Studentship competitions for 2024 entry are subject to confirmation of ESRC funding.
- UBEL DTP studentships cover tuition fees at the UKRI rate and an annual maintenance stipend. For 2023/24 a UBEL studentship will cover tuition fees of £4,712 and a minimum stipend of £20,622.This figure includes the London Allowance.
- UBEL DTP offer a wide range of pathways with 26 different disciplinary pathways, in 7 groupings across 5 London institutions. Each pathway provides a range of study routes (+3, 1+3; 2+3 and +4) with over 80 MRes, MSc and MA programmes attached and accommodates both full-time and part-time students.
Full information (entry criteria and pathways) and how to apply for the ESCR Studentships can be found on the UBEL DTP website.
- For queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants who make a preliminary application for funding must ensure they apply to SOAS to study. For further information, please see our page how to apply (research).
UBEL Deadlines for 2024 Entry
Deadlines for 2024 Entry
|27 October 2023||Survey Monkey Apply opens for Preliminary applications|
|Monday 15 January 2024 (23.59pm)||Deadline for Preliminary applications|
|(week commencing) 29th January 2024||– DTP informs candidates of Preliminary outcome
– Full application available to successful candidates
|Monday 4 March 2024 (23.59pm)||Deadline for Full applications|
|(week commencing) 13th May 2024||DTP Board considers studentship applications|