Margaret Busby New Daughters of Africa Award
- Deadline date
- £30,000 for tuition fees and maintenance
The total value of the Margaret Busby New Daughters of Africa scholarship will be at least £30,000. Tuition fees will be deducted from this amount and any remainder may be used towards maintenance.
Please note that accommodation is no longer available from Friends of International Students' House (FISH) and not provided with this scholarship.
- Full-time MA African Studies
- Full-time MA Comparative Literature
- Full-time MA Translation (in African Languages)
- Part-time programmes are not eligible
- New applicants only (new admissions, starting in September 2023)
- This award is for a student with a particular interest in African Literature with the aim to support a new generation of African female writers
- Open to a black, female student who is ordinarily resident in Africa.
- The award is for a student taking an MA in African Studies, MA Comparative Literature or MA Translation (in African Languages) at SOAS University of London. This award is for a student with a particular interest in African Literature with the aim to support a new generation of African female writers.
- Applicants must hold an offer to purpose one of the eligible degree programme at SOAS by the time the scholarship panel meet.
- Applicants must meet the English language condition of their offer of admission to study at SOAS as soon as possible.
- Please note that this scholarships does not cover funding or even allow for Pre-sessionals.
- Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a Selection Panel
- Academic degree result, CV, Scholarship Application and other relevant information in your study application will be considered to assess the above criteria.
Notification of results
Due to the competitive nature of the award only the successful candidates will be notified by the end of June 2023. If you have not heard from us by then, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
Scholarship application deadline and application material
- Scholarship applications must be received by 23:59 (UK Local Time) on 5 March 2023.
- In order to be considered for the scholarship, you must submit a complete online application to your programme. It is recommended to apply for the programme about six weeks before the scholarship deadline to ensure you have an offer at the time of shortlisting. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship application procedures
You must follow two steps:
Step 1: apply for your programme
For guidance to apply for Postgraduate Admissions and information on what makes an application, please visit How to apply (PG).
Step 2: apply for the scholarship by 23:59 (UK local time) on 5 March 2023
You must apply for this scholarship via the online application form
For enquiries, please contact the Scholarships department:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5090