Study Abroad and Exchange students are able to choose from over 300 modules across our 12 departments at SOAS to build a unique programme.
Whether you are coming to SOAS for the full-year or half the year, you are not restricted to a Study Abroad ‘pathway’, or to one specific department (note that some module restrictions apply).
Value of modules
- 15 credits – Term 1 only or Term 2/3 only
- 30 credits – Full year module (Term 1 and Term 2/3)
These are credits not ECTS points. European students should note the following ECTS points:
- 15 UK Credits are equivalent to 7.5 ECTS credit points
- 30 UK Credits are equivalent to 15 ECTS credit points
Students coming for just one term will earn 7.5 ECTS points for a 30 credit module.
Some modules have pre-requisite classes, so you will be expected to prove that you have taken a similar module to the pre-requisite at your home institution.
Note: It is your responsibility to contact the relevant module convenor to get permission to take a module that has pre-requisites.
How to sign up for your modules
- September and January starters submit their choices to the Study Abroad team in July (Term 1 and Full Year) and November (Term 2&3).
Students will be able to add/drop modules in Week 1 of each term. All available modules are subject to change and some may have restrictions on class numbers so we cannot guarantee entry into every module.
Most of the modules taught at SOAS are available for Study Abroad/Exchange Students, however please note that:
- Independent study projects, dissertations and extended essays are not open to Study Abroad/Exchange students as they are not taught modules.
- Language modules are found in the regional departments: South East Asia, South Asia, Africa, China and Inner Asia, Japan and Korea, Near and Middle East.
- It is also your responsibility to check that your preferred classes do not clash by consulting the SOAS timetable.
- Pre-sessional English courses and Language Centre courses do not carry academic credit and incur extra costs.
- Undergraduate students may be allowed to take one postgraduate module, but only with permission from the Module Convenor. Please send this to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students interested in literature modules will be able to find these across the Schools.
View the list of modules for 2023/24
- Undergraduate language open option modules
- Undergraduate non-language open option modules
- Postgraduate open option modules
How many modules to choose
The Study Abroad/Exchange Programme is designed to host full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students:
- Undergraduate: 120 credits if full year, four modules if Term 1 or Term 2/3
- Postgraduate: 120 credits if full year, four modules if Term 1 or Term 2/3
Any student on a student visa is required by the UKVI to be enrolled full-time for the duration of their studies. We allow students not requiring a student visa to take three modules, but only with explicit written approval from their home institution.
Joining a full-year module if you are only coming for a half year
If you are only coming for a half year, you will only be assessed on the material covered while you are at SOAS, and are therefore eligible to take the first half or second half of a full-year module.
Non Study Abroad/Exchange Study options
Our Study Abroad/Exchange Programme is designed for undergraduate and Masters level students to take a full class load at SOAS, and then transfer the academic credit to their home institution.
- if you are interested in only taking one or two modules at SOAS (or not for academic credit), you should apply as a Associate student
- if you are interested in coming to SOAS as a visiting PhD student, you should apply as a Visiting Research Student