The Entry Requirements for our Study Abroad/Exchange Programme are detailed below.
Applicants should have the equivalent of a British 2:1 in their current undergraduate studies.
For example, students from US/Canada students should have a GPA of 3.3/4.0. Applicants with GPA of 3.0 overall will be considered if they can demonstrate a strong academic motivation and/ or have a higher GPA in their Major. Students from Norway should be receiving predominantly grades B and C in their undergraduate studies. Students not meeting the academic requirements due to mitigating circumstances should contact the Study Abroad Coordinator.
Postgraduate students must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree with an overall grade that is equivalent to a British 2:1.
For example, students from US/Canada students should have a GPA of 3.3/4.0 and students from Norway should have an average grade of B/C in the Norwegian system.
Erasmus/Exchange student entry requirements may vary according to the home institution, but we still expect all exchange students to meet our minimum entry requirements as well. Applicants should contact the Exchange/Erasmus coordinator in their home university for more information.
Need more information?
Please see specific information regarding Academic Entry Requirements for your home institution/country on the SOAS Country Pages. If you have further queries, please contact Sarah Goodyear, Study Abroad Coordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org.
English Language requirements
All applications require proof of English proficiency unless the following applies:
1. You are a native English speaker and a national of one of the countries listed on UKVI's Knowledge of English
2. You are studying a full-time degree in one of the countries listed on UKVI's Knowledge of English (except Canada)
For example, if you are an international student studying in the USA, you will not need to submit your original proof of English proficiency. However, if you are an international student studying in Canada, you do need to submit proof of English proficiency.
Which results should I submit to prove my English Proficiency?
Depending on your programme length and your level of English, you will need to submit different results. Please see the scenarios below and submit the necessary documents with your application.
If you are coming to SOAS for less than 6 months and will use the Short-term Study Visa category:
- Submit either IELTS, TOEFL, or Pearson Academic (2 year validity)
- SOAS recognises several additional exams as proof of English proficiency. Please see the SOAS English Language Requirements page and scroll down to the table named 'Examples of acceptable qualifications other than IELTS or Pearson tests' for additional options.
If you are coming to SOAS for more than 6 months and will therefore require a Tier 4 visa:
- From 6 April 2015, only Trinity ISE taken in UK and UKVI IELTS from certain UKVI approved test centres will be approved by the Home Office as secure English language tests (SELTS) for immigration purposes.
- From 6 April 2015 onwards we recommend you take a UKVI IELTS Academic test in one of the UKVI approved test centres. For more information please see the List of approved English tests before and after 6 April 2015 and the List of UKVI approved test centres (pdf)
If you are coming to SOAS for more than 6 months and/or require a Tier 4 visa AND your scores are likely to require a pre-sessional course (see below)
- You must take your IELTS Academic test (not the IELTS General test) from a UKVI approved test centre and you must choose the UKVI IELTS Academic test (not the 'ordinary' IELTS Academic Test).
If you are not sure if your scores will require a pre-sessional course, then we recommend that you take the UKVI IELTS Academic test from a UKVI approved test centre as this is the safest option.
Based on my scores, what type of offer will I be made?
The scores below only apply to Study Abroad and Exchange Students and do not apply to students applying for full degree programs. Please see SOAS English language requirements for further details if you will apply for a SOAS degree.
Students with these minimum scores will have no further requirements
Students with these minimum scores will be recommended FREE in-sessional English course
More information on in-sessional English can be found here.
4 WEEK PRE-SESSIONAL
September starters with these minimum scores will be required to complete a 4 week pre-sessional; January starters with these minimum scores cannot be admitted and should look at ELAS below.
More information on our 4 week pre-sessional can be found here.
8 WEEK PRE-SESSIONAL
September starters with these minimum scores will be required to complete a 8 week pre-sessional; January starters with these minimum scores cannot be admitted and should look at ELAS below.
More information on our 8 week pre-sessional can be found here.
ELAS (English Language and Academic Studies)
Any student not achieving the entry requirement for one of the pre-sessional courses should consider applying for the ELAS programme online . Students achieving excellent progress on ELAS may be allowed to audit or register for one undergraduate module alongside their ELAS programme in their second or final term.
|IELTS||4.5 (At least 4.5 in writing)|
|TOEFL iBT||60 (At least 12 in writing)|
|Pearson||41 (At least 41 in writing)|