ICC Ambassador Scholarships
This is a new scholarship scheme for ICC Students who would like to be ICC Ambassadors during their time on the programme and through to the end of 2021.
What does an ICC Ambassador do?
As an Ambassador, you will be expected to get involved in the SOAS community:
- by joining SOAS Students Union clubs and societies and/or taking part in social and/or sports activities.
- by encouraging ICC students to get involved as well by communicating with them face to face or through social media.
- by helping IFCELS recruitment and marketing work for 2021. This could involve:
1. blogging or vlogging about your experiences at SOAS during your time on ICC
2. taking part in promotions in the UK or in your home country during vacations (if you are there)
3. contacting or being contacted by prospective ICC students through social media.
4. mentoring 2021-22 ICC students in the first term of the programme.
How can I apply?
- To apply for a scholarship, you need to have an ICC offer for 2020.
- You can apply by writing a statement of 800-1000 words explaining how you feel you can contribute to SOAS and to the ICC programme AND making a 2-minute video about an experience you have had which you think will be inspiring for international students. Your statement and video should be sent to email@example.com. Please write “Ambassador Scholarship” in the subject box.
- The closing date is 30 June 2020.
- Successful applicants will be informed in July 2020.
Terms and Conditions – please read carefully
1. There will be 4 Ambassador Scholarships, each of £3500, for students enrolling on ICC in 2020-2021.
2. All students who are holding an offer (conditional or unconditional) for ICC are eligible to apply for an Ambassador’s Scholarship.
3. Offer holders will not automatically be considered for a Scholarship. As an offer holder you need to apply by submitting an 800-1000 word statement explaining how you feel you can contribute to SOAS and to the ICC programme AND a 2 minute video about an experience you have had which you think will be inspiring for international students.
4. Your statement and video should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive before midnight (23:59 UK time) on 30 June 2020. Please write “Ambassador Scholarship” in the subject box.
5. Scholarships will be awarded on merit based on the statement, which should be entirely your own work, and the video, with reference to the duties listed above in the “What does an Ambassador do?” section. Please note: the purpose of the video is to assess your communication skills so it doesn’t matter what experience you choose, it’s about how you present the experience.
6. Successful candidates will be informed by the end of July 2020. The decision of the Head of IFCELS Department on the awards will be final.
7. £3500 will be deducted from the balance of the fees owed by each of the scholarship winners which should be paid by the first day of the programme – 22 September 2020.
8. Ambassadors will be expected to contribute an average of 2 hours per week to their role during the period of the ICC programme itself and up to 1 hour per week from July to December 2021. Working times are flexible and variable and are by agreement.