Senior Lecturer in Marketing
- Dr Senija Causevic
- Email address:
- 0207 898 4514
- SOAS University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Academic Support Hours:
- By email appointment
Senija is an interdisciplinary cultural theory and critical marketing studies scholar, working on emancipatory and interpretative knowledge creation.
Senija's main research interests include discourses of management, commodification and appropriation of tangible and intangible Ottoman heritage in Europe, the role of cultural heritage in normalisation of social relationships in the post-conflict societies; political marketing; country/destination branding; the meaning of luxury; critique of consumerism; and imagination of the 'east-west' binaries.
Her main geographical research areas are the Balkans, Central Asia and India.
Senija is a Co-Chair of the Centre for Ottoman Studies at SOAS.
Senija's current research projects include:
- The management, commodification and interpretation of Ottoman heritage in European teleology and the Balkans as European 'Other';
- The potential of narrative-associational heritage in the Ottoman legacies in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Representations of national identities in the official tourism promotional materials of the countries located on the territories of former Yugoslavia;
- Negotiating national and postcolonial identities in the example of the Taj Mahal;
- Tajikistan country branding (a project funded by the UK Embassy in Tajikistan);
- Sustainable tourism development through co-operatives in India’s provinces of West Bengal and Uttarachand (a project funded by the Scottish Government International Development Policy, South Asia Programme).
Critical management; critical marketing; (contested) heritage marketing, management and interpretation; experiential marketing; destination branding/marketing/representation; post-conflict cultural settings; Ottoman Empire; India
Causevic, Senija and Neal, Mark (2019) 'The Exotic Veil: Managing tourist perceptions of national history and statehood in Oman.'. Tourism Management, (71), pp 504-517.
Causevic, Senija and Minnaert, Lynn and Morgan, Nigel and Pritchard, Annette (2018) 'Prospect: The Future of Critical Tourism Studies: Reflections on the Road Ahead'. Tourism Analysis, (23) 2, pp 177-182.
Morgan, Nigel and Pritchard, Annette and Causevic, Senija and Minnaert, Lynn (2018) 'Ten Years of Critical Tourism Studies: Reflections on the Road Less Traveled'. Tourism Analysis, (23) 2, pp 183-188.
Bryce, Derek and Causevic, Senija (2016) 'Domesticating Fears and Fantasies of ‘the East’: integrating the Ottoman legacy within European heritage'. Journal of Marketing Management, (32) 15-16, pp 1419-1440.
Hosany, Sameer and Prayag, Girish and Deesilatham, Siripan and Causevic, Senija and Odeh, Khaled (2015) 'Measuring Tourists' Emotional Experiences: Further Validation of the Destination Emotion Scale'. Journal of Travel Research, (54) 4, pp 482-495.
Page, Stephen J. and Essex, Stephen and Causevic, Senija (2014) 'Tourist attitudes towards water use in the developing world: A comparative analysis'. Tourism Management Perspectives, (10), pp 57-67.
Causevic, Senija and Lynch, Paul (2013) 'Political (in)stability and its influence on tourism development'. Tourism Management, (34), pp 145-157.
Causevic, Senija and Lynch, Paul (2011) 'Phoenix Tourism: Post-Conflict Tourism Role'. Annals of Tourism Research, (38) 3, pp 780-800.
Causevic, Senija and Minnaert, Lynn and Morgan, Nigel and Pritchard, Annette, (eds.), (2018) Special Issue: Ten Years of Critical Tourism Studies: Reflections on the Road Less Traveled and The Journey Ahead. Cognizant Communication Publications. (Tourism Analysis; Vol. 23 No. 2).
This list was last generated on Sunday, 24th February 2019, 01:07 Europe/London.