SOAS University of London

Student Advice and Wellbeing

Emergency contacts

International Students House (ISH)

The International Students House is a charity for British and International students in London and offers a range of free services to members, including affordable accommodation, short stay rooms, free events and clubs, scholarships, a welfare advisor and a hardship fund. Visit the ISH website or call 020 7631 8300 for more information.

229 Great Portland Street

Accident & Emergency

A & E services are for severe or life-threatening emergencies only, such as: loss of consciousness, fits, chest pain, difficulty breathing, and severe bleeding, burns or allergic reactions. In an emergency, phone 999.

Minor Injuries Units and Urgent Care Centres can treat less serious illnesses and injuries, such as: strains and sprains, broken bones, infections and minor injuries, burns and allergic reactions. The NHS 111 service can provide advice or direct you to the most appropriate local service.

Nearest hospital:
University College Hospital
235 Euston Road

Emergency Dental Services

There are emergency dental walk-in clinics at Guy's Hospital (open from 8.00am - 9.00am Monday - Friday) and King's College Hospital (open from 8.00am - 12.30pm Monday - Friday). Early arrival is recommended as the services close once they have reached capacity, and long waits are to be expected.

Address (Guy's Hospital):
23rd Floor
Tower Wing
Guy's Hospital
St Thomas Street
London Bridge

020 7188 7188

Address (King's College Hospital):
King's College Hospital
Denmark Hill

020 3299 9000


If you are homeless, Crisis has information about direct access hostels and day centres.Volunteers are also welcome.

Visit the Crisis website, email or phone 0300 636 1967.

The Connection At St Martin's

Provides a place of safety and opportunity for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Services include  a day & night centre, help in finding employment and specialist mental health & addiction support.

Visit The Connection's website, or phone 020 7766 5544.

Health Centre

The Health Centre will see SOAS students who are not yet registered with a GP and is open from Monday - Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm.

Call 0207 467 6800 or visit the Gower Street Practice website.

NHS Choices

Visit the NHS website for general information on health.

The NHS has a helpline for non-emergency medical advice, available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and free of charge from mobiles and landlines. Telephone 111 to speak to a healthcare professional who will ask questions to assess your condition and advise you on the next steps to take.


If you're worried about something, feel upset or confused, or you just want to talk to someone, the Samaritans will provide confidential emotional support, 24 hours a day for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide. Everything you say is confidential within Samaritans.

Contact, visit the Samaritans website or phone 0845 9090 90.


Confidential listening, support and practical information for students in London.

Phone 020 7631 0101, email or visit the Nightline website.


National helpline offering support and information on all aspects of mental illness.

Phone 0300 304 7000 (6.00pm - 11.00pm), or visit the SANE website

The Maudsley Hospital

Provides a wide range of NHS mental health services, including substance misuse services for problems with drugs and alcohol.

Maudsley Hospital
Denmark Hill
London SE5.

020 3228 6000

Patient Advice and Liaison (PALS) for advice and information: 0800 731 2864


National Bureau for Students With Disabilities. Skill is a national charity promoting opportunities for young people and adults with any kind of disability in post-16 education, training and employment across the UK. Visit the Skill website.

0800 328 5050

0800 068 2422

Citizens Advice Bureau

For free advice on a wide range of topics, visit the CAB website.

CAB are often only able to offer advice to those who live or work within the area covered by that local authority or council. The CAB website has a local office search function.

03444 111444

Mary Ward Legal Centre

For free advice with legal matters and problems, visit the Mary Ward Legal Centre website.

26 – 27 Boswell Street

020 7831 7079

Transport For London

Find 24 hr travel and taxi information on the TFL website.

Directory Enquiries

Phone 118 247 for general information, or visit the BT Directory Enquiries website.

Last Updated July 2016