Dr Marie Rodet
- Reader in the History of Africa Centre for Global Media and Communications Associate Member Centre for Migration and Diaspora Studies Member Centre for Creative Industries, Media and Screen Studies Member Member Centre of African Studies Management Committee Member Principal Investigator
- Centre for Creative Industries, Media and Screen Studies, Centre for Global Media and Communications, Centre for Migration and Diaspora Studies & School of History, Religions and Philosophies
- DIPPOL (Rennes), PhD (Vienna)
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Email address
- Telephone number
- +44 (0)20 7898 4606
- Support hours
- Wednesdays 11:00am - 12:30pm
My principal research interests lie in the field of modern gender and migration history in francophone West Africa. My current research offers a historical overview of emancipation strategies in the context of the end of slavery in Africa. I analyse how slave resistance, rebellions and mobility disrupted supposedly fixed relations of gender and power hierarchies leading to complex renegotiations for kinship, marriage, religious practices and, more generally, for notions of belonging in Mali and Senegal.
Gender History; History of Slavery and Emancipation; Migration History; Legal History.