Information for prospective students from Germany
Students from Germany
This page contains specific information for students from Germany.
Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700
For further information on upcoming visits, please see events in your country.
It has been confirmed that current university students from the EU and those applying to courses starting in 2019/20 and 2020/21 will continue to benefit from the same fee rate and access to student loans as UK students.
- SOAS FAQ for current and prospective EU students.
- Guidance from Universities UK for EU students.
SOAS welcomes applications from holders of the Abitur for direct entry to undergraduate programmes. Entry requirements vary between departments.
- AAA - 1.4
- AAB - 1.6
- ABB - 1.8
- BBB - 2.0
- International Baccalaureate
For International Baccalaureate (IB) applicants we require between 33 and 37 points depending on the programme applied for.
For full details please refer to: IB entry requirements
For Masters programmes, SOAS will accept completion of the Bachelors degree (3 years) with a minimum overall mark of 2.3.
English language requirements
SOAS accepts the German Abitur English (main course) with a score of 13 for unconditional entry or a score of 10 for entry with an Insessional requirement. For more information please see English language requirements
Socrates/ Erasmus Exchange and Study Abroad
SOAS has Erasmus exchange agreements with a number of universities in Germany through which undergraduate and postgraduate students can study for one year or one semester at SOAS as part of their degree. More information can be found on the Socrates/ Erasmus pages.
In the first instance students should speak to the exchanges or international office in their university for application details. If your university does not have an exchange agreement with SOAS then you can still apply to spend one semester or one year at SOAS as part of your undergraduate degree on the 'Study Abroad' programme.
Further information and an application form can be found in our Study Abroad section or please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations.
For further information please visit Scholarships.
German students who are eligible for UK/EU fees can also apply for a loan from Student Finance. The loan covers your tuition fees, is paid direct to SOAS and does not need to be paid back until after you complete your studies.
SOAS Careers Service
The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.
SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions, please visit SOAS alumni.
- The British Council is the UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. The British Council Germany website is a useful resource for education in the UK and other cultural information.
- The British Embassy in Germany where you can find information about all aspects of the UK
- DAAD - The German Academic Exchange Service
- UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the central organisation through which undergraduate applications are processed for entry to Higher Education.
- UKCISA - the Council for International Student Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK, including visa advice.