Persian 1 A (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
This is a basic introductory language acquisition module for absolute beginners in the written and spoken language; students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language.
The module covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write short simple texts, and communicate on simple everyday topics.
The course also aims to gradually develop the receptive (listening) and productive (speaking) skills of a beginner in Persian. Besides these skills, the course aims to equip the student with some basic knowledge of cultural issues closely entertwined with ‘Persia beyond Iran’ through the spread of the Persian language and culture in the wider Persianate world.
Students taking this module are strongly encouraged to also enrol onto Persian 1 B (PG) - 15PNMH017 in Term 2
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of basic Persian grammar;
- show knowledge and understading, and use of a selected range of essential Persian vocabulary;
- demonstrate ability to read and understand a selected range of simple Persain passages;
- demonstrate ability to write simple sentences in Persian about selective, basic everyday topics;
- show ability to aurally comprehend spoken sentences about selective, basic everyday topics;
- show ability to produce spoken sentences about selective, basic everyday topics.
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 5 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- A weekly journal, or a portfolio of writing and translations, or narrated powerpoints, or podcasts- or a combination of all these language use options, in Persian. 800 -1000 words in total or 20 minutes audio, or video in total (20%)
- 1x 2h mid term test (20%)
- 1x 20 min oral exam (20%)
- 1 x 2h end-of-term test (40%)
Core texts are all held in library, students will be informed of any necessary text books in introductory materials