Lecturer in Economics
Academic Staff, SOAS South Asia Institute
- Dr Sonali Deraniyagala
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4515
- SOAS University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Academic Support Hours:
- On Leave 2019/20
South Asia - Sri Lanka, Nepal Poverty and economic policy in South Asia, trade issues in South Asia
PhD Students supervised
- Alex Warren-Rodriguez, An exploration of the factors shaping firm-level technological activities in the context of a developing economy: The case of technological capabilities development in the industrial sector in Mozambique
- Jyoti Butel Beng, (Working Title) The Political Economy of Outsourcing: The Role of Industrial Policy in the Development of the Indian IT Industry
International Trade and Development, Economic Development of South Asia, Economics of Industry.
International Trade and Development, Macroeconomics and Poverty, Conflict and Poverty, Technology and Manufacturing Performance. Regional Specialisations – South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.
External Activities and Consultancies
- Lead International Consultant for UNDP study on Macroeconomics and Poverty Reduction – Nepal case study (2002/2003).
- Peer Reviewer for National Human Development Report – UNDP Pakistan (2002).
- Consultant to UNIDO – technology and skills development in the Philippines.
- Consultant to the International Labour Organisation – 1988-1990 – Project on Female employment in South Asia.
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
Deraniyagala, Sonali (2005) 'The Political Economy of Civil Conflict in Nepal'. Oxford Development Studies, (33) 1, pp 47-62.
Deraniyagala, Sonali and Fine, Ben (2001) 'New Trade Theory Versus Old Trade Policy: A Continuing Enigma'. Cambridge Journal of Economics, (25) 6, pp 809-25.
Deraniyagala, Sonali (2000) 'The Impact of Technology Accumulation on Technical Efficiency; an Analysis of the Sri Lankan Clothing and Agricultural Machinery Industries'. SOAS Working Paper, (29, no), pp 101-114.
Deraniyagala, Sonali (2000) 'Adaptive Technology Strategies and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from the Sri Lankan Agricultural Machinery Industry'. SOAS Working Paper, (12), pp 1-13.
Deraniyagala, Sonali (2006) 'Analysis of Technology and Development. A Critical Review'. In: Jomo, Kwame Sundaram and Fine, Ben, (eds.), The New Development Economics. After the Washington Consensus.. New Delhi: Tulika Books & Zed Books, pp 123-143.
Deraniyagala, Sonali (2001) 'From Washington to Post-Washington. Does it Matter for Industrial Policy?'. In: Fine, Ben and Lapavitsas, Costas and Pincus, Jonathan, (eds.), Development Policy in the Twenty-First Century. Beyond the Post-Washington Consensus.. London: Routledge, pp 80-98.
Deraniyagala, Sonali and Semboja, Haji H. H. (1999) 'Trade Liberalisation, Firm Performance and Technology Upgrading in Tanzania'. In: Lall, Sanjaya, (ed.), The Technological Response to Import Liberalisation in Sub-Saharan Africa. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, pp 112-147.
Deraniyagala, Sonali (1999) 'Comparative and Pooled Analysis of the Three Countries'. In: Lall, Sanjaya, (ed.), The Technological Response to Import Liberalisation in Sub-Saharan Africa. Basingstoke: Macmillan, pp 207-224.
This list was last generated on Wednesday, 28th September 2022, 07:21 Europe/London.