SOAS to host book launch: Women and the UN: a new history of women’s international human rights
30 September 2021
On Thursday 21 October SOAS will host the launching event of the book, Women and the UN: a new history of women’s international human rights .
Professor Andrea Cornwall, Pro-Director Research at SOAS University of London will open the event where editors Professors Rebecca Adami and Dan Plesch with co-authors Elise Dietrichson, Fatima Sator and Professor Amitav Acharya will present their book Women and the UN: a new history of women's international human rights.
The book demonstrates the decisive impact of women from the Global South on the development of women's human rights standards, in contrast to the established narrative of dominant Western agency. This new history of international human rights demonstrates how human rights and gender equality were inscribed in the core documents of the UN, thanks to women delegates from the global south. Scholars from different disciplines revisited UN diplomacy that shaped human rights into a universal language of gender equality and non-discrimination.
This event will bring together leading scholars and experts, to present the discoveries of the book and discuss the role of women from the global south in developing international relations and human rights.
The event will host speakers from across the world and will take place from 7pm until 9pm on 21 October . If you would like to attend in person or virtually please register .
The book is available to download and read online.
- 7-7:05pm - Opening Remarks Prof. Andrea Cornwall, Pro-Director Research at SOAS University of London.
- 7:05 - 7:20pm - Prof Rebecca Adami Research Associate CISD and Professor at Stockholm University, and author of Women and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- 7:20 - 7:30pm - Elise Dietrichson, Research Associate & Alumnus of the CISD, is an officer with UN Women.
- 7:30 - 7:4pm - Fatima Sator Research Associate & Alumnus CISD is an official with the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- 7:40 - 7:50pm - Prof Amitav Acharya Global Fellow SOAS and UNESCO Chair in Transnational Challenges and Governance at the School of International Service, American University.
- 7:50 - 7:55pm- Prof Dan Plesch, Professor of Diplomacy and Strategy and Director of the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy at SOAS University of London.
- 7:55 - 09:00pm - Q&A* with the authors, moderated by Student Chairs Nafisa Kiani and Swati Swati.
*To participate in the Q&A session virtually, please submit your questions ahead of the event. Considering the limited time available for the Q&A session, the questions received by virtual means can be moderated and grouped by topic to avoid duplication of questions and to ensure the majority of the topics of interest to the audience are addressed.