Dr Yuka Kobayashi
- Department of Politics and International Studies Lecturer in China and International Politics China Institute Academic Staff, SOAS China Institute Academic Staff, Japan Research Centre Centre for Law in Asia Member
- Department of Politics and International Studies
- LLB (Kyoto); MPhil, DPhil (Oxford)
- Russell Square, College Buildings
- Email address
- Telephone number
- +44(0) 20 7898 4736
- Support hours
Mondays and Tuesdays 1.30pm - 2.30pm, by appointment.
Booking link in bio
Yuka Kobayashi (LL.B Kyoto, MPhil, DPhil Oxon) is Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in China and International Politics at SOAS, University of London, and Visiting Research Professor at Nankai University (China) and Visiting Scholar at the World Trade Organizaton (WTO). Prior to joining SOAS, she was a Junior Research Fellow at the University of Oxford. After receiving a LL.B. (specialisation in Public International Law) from Kyoto University, she studied Mandarin and Chinese International Politics at Nankai University and then obtained her M.Phil. and D.Phil. at the University of Oxford. Her research interests include International Relations of China, International Law, Trade and Investment (Belt and Road Initiative/WTO/FDI), Human Rights and Climate Change/Energy. She has advised various governments, think-tanks and international organisations on these subjects.
Expert witness to UK parliament
- Kobayashi, Yuka (2018) UK Parliament, Foreign Affairs Committee, Oral evidence for Inquiry into China and the International Rule Based System.
- Written Evidence for Expert Witness for Inquiry into China and the International Rule Based System (PDF)
- Summary of Kobayashi's submissions to the Foreign Affairs Committee Inquiry on China and the international rule-based systems
- Kobayashi's contributions on Belt and Road Initiative, trade, WTO in the Final report are in China and the Rules-Based International System Sixteenth Report of Session 2017–19 (PDF)
Mondays and Tuesdays 1.30pm - 2.30pm by appointment.
|Richard Lamb||Geoeconomics and State-Firm Dynamics in China|
|Malaika Robinson||Slogans and Strategies: Discursive Power Politics and the US-China Trade War|
|Daniel Thumpston||Legitimacy in China’s foreign policy: Reception of the "Belt and Road Initiative" in the European Union, 2013-2020 (working title)|