- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2 or Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
1. knowledge and understanding of intermediate Amharic grammar
2. knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Amharic vocabulary
3. knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Amharic structures and expressions in a given context
4. the ability to understand passages in written Amharic of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
5. the ability to produce passages in written Amharic of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
6. the ability to understand spoken Amharic and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module aims to expand upon the level of Amharic attained in Amharic I by exposing students to a variety of different styles of language and language contexts. Through materials drawn from newspapers, magazines, traditional folk-tales and simple fictional literature, students will expand grammatical and vocabulary competence. Skills in using the target language are further enhanced through regular translation and free-composition exercises, as well as regular weekly conversation classes to advance oral and aural skills in the language. Students are also introduced to elementary grammatical description and analysis of the language, and are expected to make use of a prescribed reference grammar.
Method of assessment
One written paper (80%) and oral examination (20%) taken in May/June.