Urdu Language 2
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2 or Year 3
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
1. knowledge and understanding of intermediate Urdu grammar
2. knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Urdu vocabulary
3. knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Urdu structures and expressions in a given context
4. the ability to understand passages in written Urdu of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
5. the ability to produce passages in written Urdu of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
6. the ability to understand spoken Urdu and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The module aims to develop students’ linguistic skills through grammar work, translation, prose composition, and conversation. Previous knowledge of the language is consolidated and developed by further class work on linguistic structures, sentence construction, drilling and conversation. Students are introduced to a wide range of language use in diverse materials from contexts such as journalism, literature (e.g. short stories), play readings, recorded conversations, personal correspondence and so forth. Regular homework tasks reinforce the class learning, encouraging students to write with accuracy and confidence, and to read with increasing fluency and detailed marking of homework ensures that any individual problems or weaknesses can be addressed in a very direct manner.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written exam to be taken in May/June (60%); an oral examination taken in May/June (20%) ; a written test taken in week 2 of term 2 (10%); a written test taken the week after reading week in term 2 (10%). These tests will be on vocabulary acquisition, comprehension or specific language structures and will be agreed in class beforehand.