- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
Prerequisite: Chinese 2 or equivalent standard.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- knowledge and understanding of formal texts, e.g. news items and reports
- knowledge and understanding of extensive Chinese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of Chinese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Chinese in relatively formal context as well as on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Chinese on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Chinese and to engage in spoken discourse on everyday topics and some simple but formal exchanges
Total of 20 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This module is designed for students who have mastered basic modern Chinese and a vocabulary of at least 1,000 words. It concentrates on consolidating the grammar and expanding the vocabulary. It aims primarily at providing training in both reading and oral skills. Students will extend their vocabulary significantly to approximately 1,500 words and will be able to engage in everyday conversation as well as give sustained oral presentation on a familiar topic.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (50%); one oral examination taken in May (20%); end of term 1 test (written and oral) (10%); end of term 2 test (written & oral) (10%); regular coursework assignments throughout the year (10%).
- Zheng Rui. Hanyu yuedu sucheng (jichu pian) (Speedy Reading Course for Chinese (elementary level)). Beijing: Beijing Languages and Cultures University Press, 2006.