J200: Intermediate Japanese (30Cr)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module follows the J100: Elementary Japanese module and will develop further the intermediate language competence in both productive (speaking/writing) and receptive (reading/ listening) skills in preparation for the Year abroad in Japan in Year 3. Besides the four skills mentioned above, students will also develop some knowledge of cultural issues in relation to the uses of the language.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
1. understand the main points of explanation or conversation on familiar topics, provided speech is clearly and slowly articulated.
2. understand the main points of short to medium length texts written in relatively easy Japanese.
3. Enter and sustain a straightforward conversation on familiar topics, express personal opinions and exchange information on topics that are familiar, of personal interest or pertinent to everyday life.
4. write short but structured texts on familiar subjects, for example personal e-mails, essays and so on.
5. develop intercultural awareness and knowledge of cultural background to enable engagement with people in an appropriate manner.
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 5 hours classroom contact per week. Two hours in lectures and 3 hours in seminars/tutorials.
Scope and syllabus
- Giving and seeking advice
- Complaining and apologising politely
- Requesting politely and expressing gratitude
(The topics may change with the change of the textbooks.)
Method of assessment
One three-hour written exam (50%); homework (10%); in class test (20%); oral presentation (20%).