Elementary Written Turkish A
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
This is a basic introductory language acquisition module for absolute beginners in the written language; students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language or its script. The module covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing and comprehension. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write short simple texts.
Students taking this as an open option are strongly encouraged to also take Elementary Written Turkish B in Term 2.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week.
Method of assessment
One midterm test taken in week 4, term 1 (30%)
One end of term test taken in the final week of term 1 (70%).
- Rona, Bengisu, 1989. Turkish in Three Months. Woodbridge, Suffolk: Hugo.
- Rona, Bengisu, 1989. Get by in Turkish. BBC Publications.
- Thomas, Lewis V., 1967. Elementary Turkish. Revised and edited by Norman Itzkowitz. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.