Elementary Written Persian A
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
This is a basic introductory language acquisition module for absolute beginners in the written and spoken language; students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language or its script. The module covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing, comprehension. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write short simple texts.
Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation.
Students taking this as an open option are strongly encouraged to also take Elementary Written Persian B in Term 2.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
One mid-term test taken in Week 4, Term 1 (30%)
One end of term test taken in the final week of Term 1 (70%)
Students will be using Teach Yourself Modern Persian by Narguess Farzad along with supplementary material which will be both uploaded onto Moodle and given to the class as handouts.
Other useful titles:
L. P. Elwell-Sutton, Colloquial Persian, Routledge & Kegan Paul 1976
Leila Moshiri, Colloquial Persian (with cassette), Routledge 1988
Wheeler M. Thackston, An Introduction to Persian, Iranbooks 1993
Dictionaries and Other Reference Books:
The New Unabridged English-Persian Dictionary, 5 volumes
A. Aryanpour-Kashani, Persian-English, English-Persian Dictionaries
Haim, English-Persian, Persian-English Dictionaries
Hooshang Amuzegar, A Dictionary of Common Persian and English Verbs (with Persian synonyms and examples), Payam Publishers 1988