Sanskrit Language 1 A
- Module Code:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 1
संस्कृतम्This is a basic introductory language acquisition module for absolute beginners in the the language; students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language or its script. The module covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing,and comprehension. Successful students will gain the ability to read simple original texts and to write short simple sentences.
Students taking this as a open option are strongly encouraged to also take Sanskrit Language 1B - 155906065 in Term 2.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- One mid term test (40 minutes) taken in week 4, term 1 (30%)
- One end of term test (60 minutes) taken in the final week of term 1 (70%).
A. M. Ruppel, "The Cambridge Introduction to Sanskrit," Cambridge University Press, 2017.