Sanskrit Language 1 B
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
संस्कृतम्This is a basic language acquisition module for students who have already studied the language 1A equivalent in the previous term, or who have equivalent knowledge. Students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script. This module develops knowledge of some of the several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to develop their skills in reading, writing, and comprehension. Successful students will gain the ability to read simple original texts and write simple sentences.
Students enrolling onto this module should have taken Sanskrit Language 1A - 155906064 in term 1
Successful completion of Sanskrit Language 1A - 155906064 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of commonly used grammar.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of vocabulary related to a range of everyday topics.
- Gain greater knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce short passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences and short passages on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics.
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- One two-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%)
- One oral examination (15 minutes) in May/June (20%)
- One mid term test (40 minutes) in week 4, term 2 (20%)
A. M. Ruppel, "The Cambridge Introduction to Sanskrit," Cambridge University Press, 2017.