Turkish 2 A (UG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Term 2
The course provides teaching and learning of intermediate level Turkish language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Turkish. The course covers complex points of word and sentence structure as well as textual relations in Turkish writing and discourse.
Communicative practice and structural knowledge is established through reading and translating a variety of Turkish texts dealing with different topics and drawn from different registers of the language.
Turkish 1A - 155906046 and Turkish 1B -155906047 or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Turkish grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Turkish vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Turkish structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Turkish of medium length on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to understand spoken Turkish and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to translate from and to Turkish of medium length with use of appropriate language on everyday and some specialized topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week
Scope and syllabus
- Reading: The finer points of grammar and idiomatic usage are studied through close reading of a variety of texts. Texts will be selected from newspapers and magazines, literary works and scholarly articles. The choice of topics will partly depend on the interests of the students, but an effort shall be made to cover as many different fields as possible (culture, current social issues, economics etc.).
- Writing: This skill is reinforced through the regular writing of compositions and translations.
- Oral-Aural: Conversational skills are developed with the help of interactive role play and audio-visual materials. Basic interpreting skills are also practiced. Videos from Turkish television will be used to enhance listening comprehension of both formal and colloquial Turkish.
Method of assessment
- 1x In class (15 min) presentation (20%)
- 1 x 1hr Mid Term Test (20%)
- 1 x 2hr Unseen Written Exam Paper (60%)