- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Year 2 or Year 3
- Taught in:
- Term 1
This is a valuable module for students studying a language or linguistics because the content assists in the documentation and analysis of language. It is also a useful module for students wishing to pursue a career in professional translation in view of the fact that the use of computer aided translation (CAT) tools and other technologies is now a requirement in the industry.
The module aims to equip students with the necessary skills to apply specific up-to-date technological tools to the translation process, which include: CAT tools, terminology management tools, corpus tools and project management tools. These same tools can be used to create language learner dictionaries and to analyse language. This module does not require the student to have any knowledge in computer programming or prior experience of using translation technologies.
The module is designed to develop students’ knowledge and skills in the practical use of translation technologies. Also, there is a theoretical element, which can assist students in understanding the complexity of language.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Acquire knowledge of the historical development of translation technology
- Acquire a critical understanding of the concept of CAT tools and its effect on translation
- Acquire practical knowledge of how to successfully translate with SDL Trados
- Acquire practical knowledge of how to manage a translation project including editing and reviewing a large translation project using SDL Trados
- Acquire skills in producing a term base and corpora to assist in their translation and research projects
- Acquire the use of research skills using information technology
The module is taught over 10 weeks, 2 hours each week
Method of assessment
- 1 x essay (1400 words) (50%)
- 1 x reflective report (1400 words) (50%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page