Yoruba 2 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/2021
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
15PAFC134: Yoruba 1 (PG) or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Yorùbá grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Yorùbá vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Yorùbá structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Yorùbá of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Yorùbá of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Yorùbá and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
- knowledge and understanding of the role of language in general, and Yorùbá in particular, in language-based scholarship and research (specific learning outcome for PG students)
A total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This module provides teaching and learning of intermediate level Yorùbá language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Yorùbá. It covers complex points of word and sentence structure as well as textual relations in Yorùbá writing and discourse. Communicative practice and structural knowledge is established through reading and discussing a variety of Yorùbá texts dealing with different topics and of different length and complexity.
This module provides students with intermediate knowledge of Yorùbá and practice of using Yorùbá in a variety of everyday and more specialised situations, including the understanding and expression of opinions and different points of view. It allows students to interact with Yorùbá speakers in Yorùbá and to use original Yorùbá language sources within the level covered in the module. This provides students with a basis to approach research topics relating to Yorùbá language and the histories, societies, institutions and cultures associated with Yorùbá.
A series of special PG lectures with associated seminars structured around the six themes Structure, Texts, Identity, Society, Translation and Transformation (provided for PG students studying different languages) introduces students to general questions of the role of language in language-based scholarship and research and provides them with the critical and methodological skills to relate their language acquisition to the thematic aspects of the studies.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); one oral examination of 15 minutes duration taken in May/June (30%); continuous assessment (10%).
1) The module will be based on
- Barber, Karin and Oyètádé, Akin Yorùbá Wuyì 2 Course Materials, Birmingham: CWAS and London: SOAS.
and additional materials which will be made available throughout the course.
2) Additional Yorùbá References
- Abraham, R. C. (1958) Dictionary of Modern Yoruba. London: Hodder and Stoughton.
- Awobuluyi, Oladele (1978) Essentials of Yoruba Grammar. Ibadan: University Press Limited.
- Bamgbose, Ayo (1967) A Short Yoruba Grammar. Ibadan: Heinemann Educational Books Nig. Ltd.
- Barber, Karin & Akin Oyètádé (1999) Yorùbá Wuyì Book 1. London: Hakuna Matata Press / Èdè Publications.
- Oyètádé, Akin (1994/1997) Ìgbés¬ Àkºkº ní Yorùbá Kíkà (First Steps in Reading Yorùbá.) London: Hakuna Matata Press.
- Oyètádé, Akin (1996) Yorùbá Alákøºb¬r¬ 1. London: Hakuna Matata Press.
- Oyètádé, Akíntúndé (1999) Ìwé Ìsödipúpø (Multiplication or Times Table Book) London: Hakuna Matata Press.
- Rowlands, E. C. (1969) Teach Yourself Yoruba. London: The English Universities Press Ltd.
- Schleicher, Antonia Yétúndé Fölárìn (1993) J… k'á sö Yorùbá. New Haven/London: Yale University Press.
- Schleicher, Antonia Yétúndé Fölárìn (2008) Colloquial Yorùbá: The Complete Course for Beginners plus 2 CDs. New York and London: Routledge.
Yorùbá Learning Resources
- Yorùbá on-line resources: Yorùbá books, CD-ROM, AudioCD, Audiotapes, Yorùbá Newspaper Reader – Textbook, Yorùbá Newspaper Reader – Audio CD-ROM from Wisconisn-Madison www.geocities.com/yorubaonline/
- Yorùbá resources by Akinloyè Òjó at the African Studies Institute, University of Georgia at: www.africa.uga.edu/Yoruba/lessons.html
- Yorùbá for Kids by Söjí and Títí Oyènúgà at: www.yorubaforkidsabroad.com/
- Yorùbá books and CDs by Káyødé J. Fákinl¬dé at: www.amazon.com/Beginners-Yoruba-Hippocrene-Kayode-Fakinlede/dp/0781810698
- Colloquial Yoruba (Colloquial Series (Book Only)) (Paperback) Antonia Yétúndé Folárìn Schleicher at: www.amazon.com/colloquial-Yoruba-Colloquial-Book-Only/dp/0415700604/ref=pd_sim_b_4
- Yorùbá radio and video on-line see: www.abeokuta.org/
- Adébùsºlá Önàyëmí Bis Bus International, Canada: www.learnyoruba.com/
- Ölºládé Òtítºlójù – African Languages Made Easy Series: www.blazing-ideas.com
- Babatºlá Alºba www.aloba.at/dt/afrikanische-kontakte.html
- Yorùbá Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_Wikipedia
- Èdèyèdè Project: Internet Living Yoruba Dictionary www.yoruba.georgiasouthern.edu/
- Öröèdè, a searchable English to Yorùbá dictionary www.oroede.sourceforge.net/
- Yorùbá Dictionary (uses YorubaOK.ttf 8-bit font) www.yorubadictionary.com/
- Yorùbá Font (PC Version) and Yorùbá Font (Mac Version) are available on the web for $20 each at: www.geocities.com/yorubaonline/
3) Additional resources relating to language-based scholarship discussed in the PG lectures
- Austin, Peter, ed., 2008, 1000 Languages: The world-wide history of living and lost tongues, London: Thames and Hudson.
- Baker, Mona, 1992, In Other Words: A coursebook on translation, London: Routledge.
- Duranti, Alessandro, 1997, Linguistic Anthropology, Cambridge: CUP.
- Geertz, Clifford, 1973/2000, The Interpretation of Cultures: selected essays, New York: Basic Books.
- Pinker, Steven, 1994, The Language Instinct: the new science of language and mind, London: Allan Lane.