Chinese 3 (PG)
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
15PCHC011: Chinese 2 (PG) or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of formal texts, e.g. news items and reports
- knowledge and understanding of extensive Chinese vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of Chinese structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand short passages in written Chinese in relatively formal context as well as on everyday topics
- the ability to produce short passages in written Chinese on everyday topics
- the ability to understand spoken Chinese and to engage in spoken discourse on everyday topics and some simple but formal exchanges.
- knowledge and understanding of the role of language in general, and Chinese in particular, in language-based scholarship and research (specific learning outcome for PG students)
A total of 20 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week consisting of 2 hour lecture and 1 hour tutorial.
Scope and syllabus
The module provides an introduction to Chinese language with emphasis on practical written and spoken Chinese. It covers some simple newspaper articles and internet texts. Communicative practice is established through interpreting facts, giving opinions, describing events, etc.
The module provides students with a general knowledge of Chinese and practice of using Chinese in a variety of everyday situations, including some formal situations. It allows students to interact with Chinese speakers in Chinese.
Method of assessment
A three-hour written examination taken in May/June (70%); continuous assessment (20%); oral examination (10%).
The module will be based on:
- An Accelerated Course in Chinese Reading (Elementary), by ZHENG Rui, Beijing Languages University Press, 2006
- additional materials which will be made available throughout the course.