Dissertation for MSc Economics
- Module Code:
- FHEQ Level:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
The dissertation is completed during the summer under the supervision of a member of the Department. Supervisors are allocated by the Department based on approved topics and staff availability. Supervisors provide guidance on source material, hypothesis formulation, research methods and structure but will not read complete drafts.
Dissertations must be submitted in September. They are marked by two internal examiners (the supervisor and another member of the Department) and in some cases by an external examiner. Dissertations are assessed on the basis of presentation, structure, analytical depth and originality.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their substantial understanding of a key issue, topic or theme relating to economics.
- Organize their ideas in response to theoretical and empirical material and plan, develop and present a written argument in relation to this.
- Show their ability to effectively gather, manage, synthesize and employ relevant data in support of their written argument.
- Demonstrate their capacity to work independently under the guidance of an academic supervisor.
- Show that they have followed good academic research practice and have achieved a good level of competence in academic writing.