Management In Japan 2: Current Issues in Japanese Business and Management
- Module Code:
This core module continues the examination of the Japanese managerial context with more emphasis on the economic difficulties in the 1990s and on the subsequent changes in the socio-economic and managerial environment and in corporate strategy.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The overall objectives of the module are to:
- Describe, explain and analyse the main features of the changing Japanese business environment after the ‘golden age’ of high speed growth
- Examine some of the changes in the characteristics of firms after the high-growth era
- Consider the implications of changes in the business world and firm environment for managerial strategies and choices
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Explain the key events in the chronology of the lower-growth period as a context for business evolution
- Evaluate key socio-economic challenges faced by Japan since the ‘bubble burst’
- Envision the scenarios for Japan’s future growth
This module consists of a 1-hour weekly lecture over 10 weeks of term plus a revision lecture in term 3 as preparation for the final examination. Students will be supplied with a syllabus with a breakdown week by week of required and additional reading. Reading materials are usually accessed electronically from the BLE and students should come to class prepared.
This module also has a weekly 1-hour tutorial where the questions posed by the tutor relevant to the lecture are explored and discussed by the students. Students also prepare and deliver a short presentation.
Total Work load:
Students on this module will have 2 taught hours each week. Additionally, adequate personal study time should be allocated for reading and class preparation.
Method of assessment
Assessment for this module is in three elements:
- One tutorial presentation at 10%
- One essay of 2,500 words at 30%
- One unseen 2-hour written examination at 60%
All elements except the presentation may be resubmitted.