Korean 4 (PG)
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2021/2022
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module is designed for students who have completed Korean 3 (PG) (or equivalent). The upper intermediate module introduces further grammatical aspects of the modern Korean language and aims at improving the students all-round language skills in reading, listening, speaking, and writing by mastering topics at a suitable linguistic level. Students begin studying topics relevant to modern Korea, using authentic Korean texts in an effort to better prepare to deal with original Korean source materials.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of upper intermediate Korean grammar
employing a varied range of Korean vocabulary.
- Apply a range of appropriate Korean structures and expressions in a given context.
- Read and compose passages in written Korean of medium length on everyday and some
- Interpret Korean in spoken and aural discourse of medium complexity on everyday and
some specialised topics.
- Create own language-based activities to facilitate self-study of the Korean language
Total taught hours: 60 hours. 2 hour lectures and 1 hour tutorial for 20 weeks.
Independent study: 240 hours
Total hours for module: 300 hours
Scope and syllabus
The module provides training of a combination of all language skills which include grammar, reading and writing, listening and speaking, and translation. Students will develop upper intermediate level communicative competence on the basis of further understanding of Korean grammar and explore current topics in contemporary Korea.
Method of assessment
A three hour written examination in May/June (70%); continuous assessment (20%); oral examination (10%).
Module learning materials will be developed and distributed by the module convenor. Additional learning resources are provided on Moodle (e.g. websites, blogs, newspaper articles, audio and visual materials, simple literary texts).