Vietnamese Language and Texts (PG)
- Module Code:
- Module Not Running 2020/2021
- FHEQ Level:
- Year of study:
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This module is designed for higher intermediate learners of Vietnamese. Learners would normally have completed two years of study, or spent time at a langauge school in Vietnam or similar. The module focuses on reading and writing skills, though some time is also give to further developing listening and speaking skills too. In particular the module provides student with skills necessary to read and discuss modern literary and non-literary texts.
15PSEC037: Vietnamese Langauge 2 (PG) or equivalent
Intensive Vietnamese Summer School or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- demonstrate oral and written competence in Vietnamese
- read modern Vietnamese literary texts in original
- interpret texts and to demonstrate their understanding of the historical, social and cultural context in which these texts were created
This module will be taught over 22 weeks with a 3 hour language classes per week.
Scope and syllabus
- Intermediate/higher intermediate grammar.
- Vocabulary development
- Focus on language structure in a range of formal and informal contexts, but with a particular focus on literary language
- Development of reading skills
- Development of written skills
- Introduction to the contexts in which source materials were written.
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination (80%) and two 3,000 word essays (20%).