Advanced Arabic/English/Arabic Translation Project (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
This is a closely supervised Arabic into English translation project for students enrolled in the two-year MA (discipline or subject area) and Intensive Arabic that complements and re-enforces the language skills the students are acquiring in the co-requisite module, Arabic 4 PG. Students will choose with the help of the supervisor one Arabic text of approximately 6000 words at the appropriate level and translate it into English, and one English text of approximately 6000 words at the appropriate level to translate into Arabic, utilising, honing, reenforcing and supplementing students' knowledge of grammar, vocabulary, registers and styles of the Arabic language, bringing these forward from passive learning into active use.
This module must be taken with 15PNMC391: Arabic 4 PG
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be expected to be able to:
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of advanced Arabic grammar
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Arabic vocabulary
- demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Arabic structures and expressions in a given context
- demonstrate the ability to translate from Arabic with use of appropriate language on a specialized topic
- demonstrate the ability to translate into Arabic with use of appropriate language on a specialized topic
This module will be taught over 22 weeks with 1 hour of project supervision per week.
Scope and syllabus
There will be no fixed syllabus. The choice of texts for translation will be informed by the disciplinary interest of the student and guided by the supervisor, who will be the convenor of the co-requisite Arabic 4 PG.
Method of assessment
- A 7,000 word Dissertation to be submitted in term 3
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page