Reader in Migration, Mobility and Development
Global Forced Migration
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- Department of Development Studies
The aim of this module is to develop students’ knowledge of drivers and experiences of forced migration, as well as responses to forced migration.
Over the course of the module we will cover the following key themes:
- Conceptualising forced migration
- Drivers of migration: economic, environmental, conflict
- Internal displacement responses
- Refugee law and practice and the durable solutions framework
- Lived experiences of exile
- Barriers to protection
On successful completion of the module students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of debates about the definition of forced migration in social scientific literature.
- Analyse how different processes generate forced migration and key historical and contemporary trends around the world.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major policy frameworks that respond to displacement, and debates around these.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of people’s lived experiences of displacement.
- Support analysis with reference to evidence from around the world.