Hebrew 1 A
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
עברית חדשה, ʿivrít ḥadašá[h]
This is a basic introductory language acquisition module for absolute beginners in the written and spoken language; students are not assumed to have any previous knowledge of the language or its script. The module covers several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to acquire basic skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write short simple texts, and communicate on simple everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Students taking this as a open option are strongly encouraged to also take Hebrew 1B - 155906052 in term 2.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 5 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- One mid term test (40 minutes) taken in term 1 (30%)
- One end of term test (60 minutes) taken in term 1 (70%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page