K400: Advanced Korean (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures & Japan and Korea section
This module aims to develop and consolidate students' advanced Korean language knowledge and skills, including listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. It also aims to allow students to develop advanced mediation skills both from English to Korean and from Korean to English. The focus is on developing advanced transferable skills around language and communication that can be used in society and will increase students' employability.
The module content focuses on current issues in Korea, including social, cultural, political and environmental, and places them in a global context. Students will be encouraged to develop their critical reading and thinking skills, as well as advanced cross-linguistic and cross-cultural mediation skills, through reading comprehension, summarisation, discussion and academic writing in Korean.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will be able to:
- read and understand authentic Korean materials, including newspaper articles, research articles, white papers and statistical data with the help of dictionaries
- express themselves cogently and coherently in Korean, both orally and in writing
- apply their knowledge and skills of Korean, such as structures and registers, more naturally and appropriately
- demonstrate broad knowledge and critical understanding of the cultures and societies of Korea
- further develop their mediation skills from English to Korean, and from Korean to English
Total taught hours: 30 hours. 3 hours of seminars per week for 10 weeks.
Independent study: 120 hours
Total hours for module: 150 hours
Scope and syllabus
The syllabus content will vary from year to year, depending on which national and global issues are currently topical.
Method of assessment
- Examination (2 hours) 60%
- Oral Assessment/Presentation (10 minutes) 40%
- Eunju Lee, Duk-Soo Park and Jaehoon Yeon. (2004). Integrated Korean: Advanced (Volumes 1 and 2). Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press.