Korean 1 B (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
This is a language acquisition module for students who have already studied the Language A equivalent in the previous term, or who have equivalent knowledge. Students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script. This module develops knowledge of several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to develop their skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write simple texts, and communicate on everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Successful completion of 15PJKH037: Korean 1A (PG) or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of commonly used grammar.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of vocabulary related to a range of everyday topics.
- Gain greater knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce short passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences and short passages on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics.
Total taught hours : 30 hours. 2 hour of lectures and 1 hour of tutorial per week for 10 weeks.
Independent study : 120 hours
Total hours for module : 150 hours
Method of assessment
One two-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%); an oral examination of 15 minutes in May/June (20%); a mid term test of 40 minutes duration (week 4, term 2) (20%).
Elementary Korean. King & Yeon. Tuttle Publishing Co.
Also additional materials which will be made available throughout the module.