Lecturer in Law
MA Dissertation in Law
- Start date
- End date
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- School of Law
The purpose of the Dissertation is to enable students to demonstrate their capacity to carry out a substantial piece of independent academic research on a selected topic.
Students will be assessed on their capacity to;
- define a topic for examination;
- articulate a coherent scheme for examining this topic;
- gather the necessary information;
- analyse and present this information in a way which satisfactorily assesses the topic which they have set themselves.
- There must be a member of SOAS staff competent and willing to supervise the topic, and available at the times when supervisions are required.
- Students cannot expect supervisors to be necessarily available over the summer.
Students are required to attend research and writing skills sessions over the academic year.
Method of assessment
- Dissertation: 100% (12,000 words due in September). Note: different regulations apply to dissertations for LLM students.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules.