- Ms Noemí Pérez Vásquez
- Email address:
- SOAS University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Academic Support Hours:
- Tuesdays, 1.00 - 2.00PM
- Thesis title:
- Breaking the silence: women’s access to transitional justice
- Year of Study:
Noemi is a Venezuelan national, whose work falls within the intersections between law and politics. She has worked mainly with the United Nations on issues of the justice sector, human rights, women and children, including for the OHCHR, UNDP, UNMISS, UNICEF as well as for the The International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI). She was a Visiting Researcher at the Universidade Nacional Timor Lorosa’e, in Dili, Timor-Leste from 2016 to 2017, where she carried out her fieldwork research. She has lived in several countries and is fluent in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese.
Her thesis explores the differences of access to transitional justice between women and men, whether transitional justice facilitates women’s rights protection, and whether the proactive participation of international actors has been determinant in the protection of women’s rights.
- The Impact of the UN on women’s access to justice in post-conflict societies, in Justiça de Transição em Perspectiva Transnacional, Belo Horizonte, Initia Via Editora, 2017.
- Nordic Journal of Human Rights (2012). Vol. 30 Issue 2. Book review of Fighting Poverty in the US and Europe (Alberto Alesina & Edward L. Glaeser), Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Intensive Doctoral Week, Law School of SciencesPo (Paris, June 2018).
- Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP) Conference, Harvard Law School (Cambridge, USA, June 2018)
- Socio-Legal Studies Association (SLSA) Conference (Bristol, UK, March 2018)
- The 2018 Scholars Workshop, Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP), Harvard Law School (Thailand, January 2018)
- The International Meeting on Law and Society (LAS) (Mexico, June 2017)
- III International Congress of Transitional Justice (Belo Horizonte, Brazil, November 2016)
- The Transnational Law Summer Institute, King’s College London (London, June 2016)
- Socio-Legal Association (SLSA) Conference (Lancaster, UK, April 2016)
- African Regional Workshop, Institute for Global Law and Policy (IGLP), Harvard Law School (South Africa, January 2016)
- Founder member of the Critical Transitional Justice Network (June 2016 - present)
- Member of the Socio-Legal Studies Association (January 2016 - present)
- Member at the Norwegian Resource Bank for Democracy and Human Rights (NORDEM), a civilian capacity provider specialised in human rights and democratisation (August 2012 - present)