- Yaser Almatrfi
- Thesis title:
- Transformations in the Attitude of the Ahl al-Ḥadīth School towards the Engagement in Theological Polemics (Al Kalam)
- Year of Study:
I am Yaser Almatrfi from Saudi Arabia (Makkah), a researcher, publisher and author, interested in theological and juristic studies
I started to interest in Islamic theology at an early stage of my life,
I earned my Bachelor's degree in Shari'a College at Qassim University. I graduated in 2002 with excellent and first class honor.
This interest motivated me to continue my studies of Master's degree in Islamic theology at Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University, The title of my master's thesis was: The Impact of Islamic theology on Qur’an interpretation.
Later on, I published several books and papers and some scholarly researches in number of peer-reviewed journals, as well as several participations in local and international conferences.
After earning my Master's degree, I started working as a lecturer at King Abdulaziz University in Jeddah.
Additionally, all my other works and contributions, outside the university, embodied my passion for Islamic studies. I established a number of key institutions in various countries, such as Nama’a Center for Research and Studies in Lebanon, Nama’a Academy for Islamic and Humanitarian Sciences in Morrocco, Nama’a for Research and Studies website and Nama’a Peer-reviewed Journal for Islamic and humanities studies. Through these institutions, I have contributed to the publication of studies of more than 200 books authored or translated by leading scholars and researchers in the Arab world.
This research will not deal with the detailed issues of Al-Kalam (Islamic theology), nor the theological positions of Ahl al-Hadith. However, it will discuss a matter considered a precedent: the attitude of engaging in theological polemics and discussion of these issues, which was later called Al-Kalam. It will seek to track major transformations of the attitude of Ahl al-Hadith towards participation and engagement in it, thus, examining a particular issue and then tracing the history of its changes and manifestations.
Therefore, the central research question is: What is the reality of the early attitude of Ahl al-Hadith towards the engagement in theological polemics? What are the central shifts in the attitude of Ahl al-Hadith that happened after that? What is the nature of this shifts at every stage?
- Shi’ism in Africa: A field-study (editor), NAMA: Beirut, 2011.
- The Correctionist Jurisprudential Movement: Exploratory Excavations in Ibn
- Taymiyyah’s Experience with the Divorce Fatwa, NAMA: Beirut, 2013.
- Creedalism and Quranic Exegesis: Methodologies, Motives, Problems and
Corpus, NAMA: Beirut, 2016.
- Creedalism and Kalam: Uthman bin Said Al-Darimi as advocate for Ahl alHadith, NAMA: Beirut, 2017.
- Lecturer at King Abdulaziz University
- Director of Nama Center for Studies and Research
- Director of Nama Academy for Islamic Sciences and