- Dr Cosima Bruno
- Email address:
- +44(0) 20 7898 4421
- SOAS University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Academic Support Hours:
- Thursdays 3-4pm
China & Inner Asia Section, Department of East Asian Languages & Cultures
Dr Cosima Bruno
BA (Venice) PhD (London)
- Connections and Intersections: Core Aspects of East Asian Studies
- Independent Project in Japanese Studies
- Independent Study Project in Chinese Languages and Cultures
- Independent Study Project in Japanese Language and Culture
- Independent Study Project in Korean Language and Culture
- Literature and Social Transformation in Contemporary China
- Literature and Social Transformation in Contemporary China (PG)
- Literature, Politics and National Identity in Modern China
- Literature, Politics and National Identity in Modern China (PG)
- Reading Contemporary Chinese Literary Text
PhD Students supervised
- Chen Ma, Negotiating with Ambiguity: The Reconstruction of Ecological Consciousness in post-2000 Chinese Science Fictions
- Feifei Zhan, Physical Pain and Mother-daughter Relationships in Post-1990 Chinese Literature
- Jessica Siu-yin Yeung, Semiotics of Allegory: Homosexuality in Contemporary Asian Novel and Cinema (Taiwan and Hong Kong)
- Kulyanee Jongjairuksa, A Sociological Approach to Investigating Stylistic Features of Chinese Martial Arts Novels Translated by Nor Nopparat
- Magdalena Wojcik, Trespassers of the Gender Boundaries - Collective Voice of the Tang Dynasty Women Poets
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
- East Asia
Bruno, Cosima (2012) Between the Lines: Yang Lian's Poetry through Translation. Leiden: Brill.
Bruno, Cosima (2018) 'Thinking Other People's Thoughts: Brian Holton's Translations from Classical Chinese into Scots'. Translation & Literature, (27) 3, pp 306-318.
Bruno, Cosima (2018) 'Dog Barking at the Moon: Transcreation of a Meme in Art and Poetry'. Journal of Modern Literature in Chinese, (14-15) 14.2-15.1, pp 161-186.
Bruno, Cosima (2017) 'Breaking Language Down: Taiwan Sound Poetry and its Ways of Saying'. Concentric: Literary and Cultural Studies, (43) 2, pp 33-56.
Bruno, Cosima (2017) 'Writing in London. Home and Languaging in the Work of London Poets of Chinese Descent'. Life Writing, (14) 1, pp 37-55.
Bruno, Cosima (2013) 'Contemporary Poetry from Macau'. Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies, (16) 5, pp 750-769.
Bruno, Cosima (2012) 'The Public Life of Contemporary Chinese Poetry in English Translation'. Target: International Journal of Translation Studies, (24) 2, pp 253-285.
Bruno, Cosima (2006) 'Chinese Literary Trends in the Last Quarter of a Century'. Black Mountain Review, (14) Autumn, pp 103-111.
Bruno, Cosima (2005) 'Sulla conoscenza deittica di un'altra cultura [On the Deictic Knowledge of Another Culture]'. Itinerari d’impresa. Management diritto formazione 6, pp 189-198.
Bruno, Cosima (2003) 'Yang Lian shige zhong de zhuguanxing. [Subjectivity in Yang Lian's Poetry]'. Shi tansuo [Poetry Exploration], (49-50), pp 208-222.
Bruno, Cosima (1999) 'Leggendo Qu Youyuan Ouyang Jianghe Xi Chuan Yu Jian [Reading Ouyang Jianghe Xi Chuan Yu Jian Qu Youyuan]'. In Forma di parole 1, pp 263-270.
Bruno, Cosima and Tarocco, Francesca, (eds.), (2008) Made in China. Milano: Mondadori.
Bruno, Cosima (2019) 'Translation Poetry: The Poetics of Noise in Hsia Yü’s Pink Noise'. In: Reynolds, Matthew, (ed.), Prismatic Translation. Cambridge: Legenda.
Bruno, Cosima (2018) 'Experimental and Opaque Poetry: Bei Dao, Shu Ting, Gu Cheng, and Others'. In: Dong Gu, Ming, (ed.), Routledge Handbook of Modern Chinese Literature. Abingdon; New York: Routledge, pp 491-501.
Bruno, Cosima (2012) 'Words by the Look: Issues in Translating Chinese Visual Poetry'. China and Its Others. Knowledge Transfer through Translation, 1829-2010. Amsterdam and New York: Rodopi, pp 245-276.
Bruno, Cosima (2006) 'English/Chinese – Chinese/Chinese. On Reading Poetry through Translation'. In: Hermans, Theo, (ed.), Translating Others. Manchester: St Jerome Publishing, pp 219-235.
Bruno, Cosima and Xi, Chuan (2004) 'Xi Chuan fang tanlu: da Mina wen'. In: Du, Xi and Hua, Guo, (eds.), Xianfeng shige dang'an. Chongqing: Chongqing chubanshe, pp 94-97.
Bruno, Cosima (2012) 'Translations of 3 visual poems: Chen Li's "A War Symphony", Xu Bing's "A Book from Heaven" (excerpt)' Kuangye daore's "Windows"..
Bruno, Cosima (2008) '"Tempo" by Liu Yichang; "Il caso Mary" and "Mirabilia dalla citta' fluttuante" by Xi Xi' .
Bruno, Cosima (2004) 'Translation into Italian of six poems by Yang Lian' .
Bruno, Cosima (2017) 'Review of: The pushing-hands of translation and its theory: in memoriam of Martha Cheung, 1953-2013.'. The Translator, (22) 3, pp 348-352.
Bruno, Cosima (2013) 'A Common Strangeness'. China Quarterly, (214), pp 497-498.
Bruno, Cosima (2010) 'Review of: 'Voices in Revolution. Poetry and the Auditory Imagination in Modern China' by John A. Crespi'. The China Quarterly, (202), pp 456-458.
Bruno, Cosima (2006) 'Unreal City. A Chinese Poet in Auckland'. The China Quarterly, (187), pp 810-812.
Bruno, Cosima (2005) 'Leaving the World to Enter the World: Han Shaogong and Chinese Root-Seeking Literature'. The China Quarterly, (184), pp 981-983.
Bruno, Cosima (2005) 'The Invention of a Discourse: Women's Poetry from Contemporary China'. The China Quarterly, (183), pp 719-721.
Bruno, Cosima (2003) 'Book review of 'Transpacific Displacement. Ethnography, Translation, and Intertextual Travel in Twentieth-Century American Literature' by Huang Yunte'. The China Quarterly 173, pp 242-244.
Bruno, Cosima (2003) Contemporary Chinese Poetry in Translation. PhD thesis. SOAS, University of London.
This list was last generated on Thursday, 28th May 2020, 00:03 Europe/London.