Head of School
UG Research/ISP Tutor (Religions & Philosophies)
Member, Centre of Jaina Studies
Academic Staff, Centre of Contemporary Central Asia and the Caucasus
Academic Staff, SOAS China Institute
Convener, Circle of Tibetan and Himalayan Studies
Member, Tibetan Studies Group
Head of Department, (History, Religions & Philosophies)
Head of History, Religion & Philosophies
- Professor Ulrich Pagel
- Email address:
- +44 (0)20 7898 4782
- SOAS University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Room 343
- Academic Support Hours:
- Mondays 16:00- 17:00 and Tuesdays by appointment
Service in International Associations
- General Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Studies (2011)
- Editor-in-Chief, Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies (2010)
- MA Traditions of Yoga and Meditation (2018)
- MA Traditions of Yoga and Meditation (2019)
- MA Traditions of Yoga and Meditation (2020)
- MA Traditions of Yoga and Meditation (2021)
- Buddhist Meditation in India and Tibet
- Dissertation in Buddhist Studies
- Dissertation in the traditions of Yoga and Meditation
- R240 The Politics of Spirituality in South Asia
- R501 Independent Study Project in Religion, Culture, and Society
- Tibetan Buddhist Texts from Central Asia
- Yoga and Meditation: Perspectives, Context and Methodologies
PhD Students supervised
- Ayesha Fuentes, On the use of human remains in Tibetan ritual objects
- Manuel Antonio Ato Del Avellanal Carrera, Interdependent Self and Engaged Citizenship: A Buddhist Approach to the Contemporary Philosophical Debate on Civic Virtue
- Meng Wang, The Life of the Sixteenth Karmapa and His Role in the Tibetan Buddhist Transmission to North America and Unitied Kingdom
- Rosemary Busto, Religious and Ascetic Influences on Modern Yoga (Working title)
- Sayam Patthranuprawat, SUB-STORIES IN THE MAHĀBHĀRATA: SIGNIFICANCE AND NARRATIVE FUNCTIONS
- Susan Roach, ‘The Qualities of the Purified’: attitudes towards asceticism in the Mūlasarvāstivāda-vinaya
- Yael Shiri, "The Śākyas in the Mūlasarvāstivāda-vinaya as a Trope of Buddhist Self-Representation in Dialogue with the Religious 'Other'" (2019)
Research Students Awarded a PhD
- Ligeia Lugli, The Conception of Language in Indian Mahayana Buddhism, with special reference to the La?kavatarasutra (PhD awarded in May 2011, holds now a 2-year research post at Durham University).
- Lewis Doney, The Historical Depictions of King Khri srong lde btsan in Eighth to Twelfth Century Tibet (PhD awarded in March 2011, holds now a 3-year research post at Munich University).
- Jan Westerhoff: Causation in early Madhyamaka Writings (PhD awarded in Sept. 2007, holds now a permanent position at Durham University).
- Osto, Douglas Edward: The Good Friends of the Ga??avyuha: A Study in Wealth, Gender and Power in a Buddhist Narrative (PhD awarded in Sept. 2004: holds now a tenured appointment at Massey University, New Zealand).
- Yoeli Tlalim, Ronit, Contemporary Teachings of the Kalacakratantra in Exile (PhD awarded in Oct, 2003: holds now a permanent lectureship at Goldsmith College (University of London)).
- Shi Zhen Jing: The Literature of the Great Decease: Mahaparinirva?a Materials in Theravada, Mahayana and Taoism (co-supervision, PhD awarded in Sept. 2003).
Mahāyāna Literature, Indo-Tibetan Buddhism, Ancient India, Buddhist Monasticism, Buddhist Philosophy, Traditions of Buddhist Meditation
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
- East Asia
- South Asia
Pagel, Ulrich (2014) Buddhist Monks in Tax Disputes: Monastic Attitudes towards Revenue Collection in Ancient India. Napoli: Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale".
Pagel, Ulrich and Cüppers, Christoph and van der Kuijp, Leonard (2012) Handbook of Tibetan Iconometry: A Guide to the Arts of the 17th Century. Leiden: Brill.
Pagel, Ulrich (2007) Mapping the Path: Vajrapadas in Mahāyāna Literature. Tokyo: The International Institute for Buddhist Studies.
Pagel, Ulrich and Gaffney, S (1996) Location list to the texts in the Microfiche Edition of the Shel dkar (London) Manuscript bKa'' ''gyur. London: The British Library.
Pagel, Ulrich (1995) The Bodhisattvapitaka: Its Doctrines, Practices and their Position in Mahayana Literature. Tring: The Institute of Buddhist Studies.
Pagel, Ulrich (2017) 'Nothing to Declare: Status, Power and Religious Aspiration in the Policies of Taxation in Ancient India'. Medieval Worlds: Religious Exemption in Pre-Modern Eurasia, c. 300-1300 CE, (6), pp 101-117.
Pagel, Ulrich (2007) 'The Dhāraṇī of Mahāvyutpatti #748: Origin and Formation'. Buddhist Studies Review, (24) 2, pp 151-191.
Pagel, Ulrich (2006) 'About Ugra and his Friends: a Recent Contribution on Early Mahayana Buddhism. A review article'. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, (16) 1, pp 73-82.
Pagel, Ulrich (1999) 'Three Bodhisattvapitaka Fragments from Tabo: Observations on a West Tibetan Manuscript Tradition'. Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, (22,1), pp 167-210.
Dhondup, Yangdon and Pagel, Ulrich and Samuel, Geoffrey, (eds.), (2013) Monastic and Lay Traditions in North-Eastern Tibet. Leiden: Brill. (Brill's Tibetan Studies Library).
Pagel, Ulrich and Skorupski, Tadeusz, (eds.), (1994) The Buddhist Forum III: Papers in honour and appreciation of Professor David Seyfort Ruegg's contribution to Indological, Buddhist and Tibetan Studies. London: School of Oriental and African Studies. (The Buddhist Forum).
Pagel, Ulrich (2007) 'Stūpa Festivals in Buddhist Narrative Literature'. In: Klaus, Konrad and Hartmann, Jens-Uwe, (eds.), Indica et Tibetica : Festschrift für Michael Hahn zum 65. Vienna: Arbeitskreis für Tibetische und Buddhistische Studien Universität Wien, pp 369-394.
Pagel, Ulrich and Braarvig, Jens (2006) 'Fragments of the Bodhisattvapiṭaka'. In: Braarvig, Jens, (ed.), Buddhist manuscripts 3. Oslo: Hermes Publishing, pp 11-89.
Pagel, Ulrich (2001) 'The Sacred Writings of Buddhism'. In: Harvey, P., (ed.), Themes in Religious Studies: Buddhism. London: Pinter Publishing, pp 9-63.
Pagel, Ulrich (1997) 'The Tibetica of the British Library: A Historical Survey'. In: Krasser, H., (ed.), Tibetan Studies: Proceedings of the 7th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, Schloss Segau 1995. Vol.2. Vienna: Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, pp 725-732.
Pagel, Ulrich (1994) 'The Bodhisattvapitaka and Aksayamatinirdesa: Continuity and Change in Buddhist Sutras'. The Buddhist Forum III. London: School of Oriental and African Studies, pp 333-373.
Pagel, Ulrich (1996) 'Location list to the texts in the microfiche edition of the Śel dkar (London) Manuscript bKa' 'gyur (Or. 6724): compiled from the microfiche edition in conjunction with the original Tibetan manuscript'.
This list was last generated on Wednesday, 27th January 2021, 10:21 Europe/London.