- Dorothea Schaefter
- Email address:
- Thesis title:
- The Return of Indonesian Exile Writing: A Literary Analysis of the Works of Exiled Indonesian Authors
- Year of Study:
- 2012 (part-time)
The events of 30th September 1965 had a profound impact on the lives of many Indonesians including a group of intellectuals and writers who were compelled to live in foreign countries in its aftermath. In spite of being in political exile, authors refused to be silenced and continued to write and publish poetry, prose and essays. My research intends to shed light on this relatively little-known part of Indonesian literature and examines Indonesian exile writing in the wider context of modern contemporaneous Indonesian literature. A literary analysis of texts written by Indonesian authors in exile, my study follows my interest in the concept of Indonesian literature as it is seen by Indonesian writers themselves. I employ a text-focused approach to evaluating exile literature and am interested in the self-perception of Indonesian exile writers, their views on Indonesian literature and their place in the context of Indonesian literature. Chronologically tracing the literary activities of former Lekra intellectuals in exile from the 1950s onwards into the early 21st century, with a particular emphasis on the large corpus of works written and disseminated abroad, I analyse the texts produced and the language used in relation to the “widely received” canon of Indonesian literature.
- 2001. 'A Comparison of the Literary Concept of Lekra and Sastra Kontekstual'. Passauer Beiträge zur Südostasienkunde, Working Papers No. 8.
- 2006. 'The Return of Indonesian Exile Writing: Writing in Exile during the New Order (1965-1998) and its Return after 1998'. Justin Watkins and Masami Arai, ed. Proceedings of the SOAS/TUFS Postgraduate Symposium: London, 20-21 February 2006. Tokyo: Tokyo University of
Foreign Studies: pp. 15-24.
- 2009. 'Indonesian literature in exile, 1965-1998'. The Newsletter, No.52, Winter 2009 International Institute for Asian Studies, The Netherlands: pp. 7
- 2011. 'In Memoriam HR Bandaharo: The exiles' view'. Indonesia and the Malay World, 39/114: pp. 171–195.
- 2006. 'Indonesian Exile Writing'. Paper presented at the conference of the Association of South-East Asian Studies in the United Kingdom, Oxford. September 2006.
- 2006. 'The Return of Indonesian Exile Writing: Writing in Exile during the New Order (1965-1998) and its Return after 1998'. Paper presented at the TUFS/SOAS Postgraduate Symposium, School of Oriental and African Studies. February 2006.
- 2008. 'Soeprijadi Tomodihardjo: An Indonesian exile writer and his work'. Paper presented at the Faculty of Languages and Cultures Postgraduate Student Conference , School of Oriental and AfricanStudies. May 2008.
- 2008. 'Asahan Alham Aidit: An Indonesian exile writer and his work'. Paper presented at the conference of the Association of South-East Asian Studies in the United Kingdom, Liverpool. June 2008.
- 2010. 'In Memoriam HR Bandaharo: The Exiles' View'. Paper presented at the Student Lecture Series of the Royal Asiatic Society, London. 17th February 2010.