- Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, 1969-1980
- School of Development Studies, University of East Anglia 1980-2004
- Ford Foundation, Dhaka, Bangladesh;
- Regional Economist, CIMMYT, New Delhi;
- Institute of Asian Research/Department of Agricultural Economics, University of British Colombia, Vancouver, Canada;
- Government of Nepal/World Bank project on Agricultural Research & Extension;
- Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, Nepal.
Biggs, Stephen & Justice, Scott, 2015. Rural and Agricultural Mechanization: A History of the Spread of Small Engines in Selected Asian Countries. IFPRI Discussion Paper 01443. Washington: International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Workshop Powerpoint
- Biggs, Stephen, Matsaert, Harriet & Justice, Scott, 2015. Use of Innovation Systems Analysis in Agricultural and Rural development: Personal Reflections. Chapter for J. Francis, A. Van Huis and N. Röling (Eds.) (expected 2015). Innovation Systems: Towards effective strategies in support of smallholder farmers. Proceedings of an Expert Consultation held at CTA, Wageningen, The Netherlands, February 2013
- Biggs, Stephen and Justice, Scott. 2014. Political power in innovation systems: smallholder sustainable intensification and rural mechanisation. Chapter for J. Francis, A. Van Huis and N. Röling (Eds.) (expected 2015). Innovation Systems: Towards effective strategies in support of smallholder farmers. Proceedings of an Expert Consultation held at CTA, Wageningen, The Netherlands, February 2013
- Justice, Scott & Biggs, Stephen. 2013. Rural and agricultural mechanization in Bangladesh and Nepal: Status, processes and outcomes. Chapter 4, pp. 67-120 in Kienzle, Josef; Ashburner, John E. & Sims, Brian G., eds. 2013. Mechanization for Rural Development: A review of patterns and progress from around the world. Plant Production and Protection Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome. ISBN 978-92-5-107605-7 (print). E-ISBN 978-92-5-107606-4 (PDF). (http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3259e/i3259e.pdf)
- Feldman, Shelley & Biggs, Stephen. 2012. International Shifts in Agricultural Debates and Practice: An Historical View of Analyses of Global Agriculture. Pp 107-161 in Campbell, W. Bruce & Ortiz, Silvia Lopez, eds. 2012. Integrating Agriculture, Conservation, and Ecotourism: Societal Influences, Dordrecht: Springer Publishers
- Feldman, Shelley & Biggs, Stephen, 2012. The Politics of International Assessments: The IAASTD Process, Reception, and Significance. Journal of Agrarian Change, Volume 12 (1) pp. 144-169.
- Biggs, Stephen & Justice, Scott. 2011. Rural Development and Energy Policy: Lessons from Agricultural Mechanisation in South Asia. ORF Occasional Paper No. 19. New Delhi: Observer Research Foundation (http://www.observerindia.com/cms/sites/orfonline/modules/occasionalpaper/OccasionalPaperList.html)
- Biggs, Stephen; Justice, Scott; & Lewis, David. 2011. Patterns of Rural Mechanisation, Energy and Employment in South Asia: Reopening the Debate. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XLVI, No. 9, pp. 78-82.
- Gurung, Barun. & Biggs, Stephen, 2010. Institutional Change: the unanticipated consequences of action. Development in Practice, Vol. 20, (8), pp. 1014-1026.
- Feldman, S., Biggs, S. & Raina, R., 2010. A messy confrontation of a crisis in agricultural science. Economic and Political Weekly. Vol. XLV, 3. pp. 66-71.
- Biggs, S., & Lewis, D., 2009. Fair Trade and Organizational Innovation in Nepal: Lessons from 25 Years of Growth of the Association of Craft Producers (ACP). European Journal of Development Research. Vol. 21, 3. 377-396.
Recent presentations and papers in preparation (available from the authors)
- Biggs, Stephen and Justice, Scott, 2014. Diverse patterns of smaller scale rural mechanisation and sustainable rural development. Keynote address at the workshop on Mechanization and Agricultural Transformation in Asia and Africa: sharing development experiences. June 18-19, 2014. Peking University. Organised by the International Food policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and the National School of Development, Peking University, Beijing. China (Powerpoint presentation)
- Biggs, Stephen, 2013. Diverse Patterns of Rural Mechanisation in Rural Development: Neglected topic in current policy debates. Prepared for the Food (In)Security Research Network: International and trans-disciplinary perspectives. 16th October 2013, UN World Food Day, University of Warwick, Coventry. UK. (PowerPoint presentation)