Elaine Ferguson (LSHTM)
Fiorella completed her BA in Cooperation and International Development (University of Pavia, Italy) and an MSc in Advanced Development Economics (University of Florence, Italy). After graduating, she worked for the Food and Agricultural Organization of the UN as junior market analyst. Her main research interests are food security and nutrition, seasonality and food prices.
The need for good metrics for and indicators of the effects of changes in food prices and incomes on food security and insecurity is widely recognised but the widespread reliance on food prices themselves as indicators of changing food security is deeply flawed. Simultaneously, reduction of malnutrition and food insecurity receives growing importance on the political agenda both at the national and international level. It is largely recognised that increases of basic food prices (especially cereals) lead to a significant reduction of quantity and quality of consumed food especially among the poorest, affecting several underlying factors of malnutrition. The overall aim of the project is to develop and extend the MCES and related metrics as measures of the impacts of food prices on food security and nutritional status of people in different income groups in different contexts and at different scales of analysis and aggregation.
• Picchioni et al (2016) Roads to interdisciplinarity – Working at the nexus between food systems, nutrition and health. Forthcoming (Food Security)
• Picchioni et al (2015) Agri-health research: what have we learned and where do we go next? 5th Annual Conference of the Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (LCIRAH), 2015. Food Security, 8(1), 291-298
• Kanter et al (2014). '4th Annual Conference of the Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (LCIRAH), Agri-food policy and governance for nutrition and health, London, 3–4 June 2014'. Food Security, Volume 6, Issue 5 , pp 747-753 10.1007/s12571-014-0379-8
• Picchioni F. & A. Dorward. Impacts of food price changes on food security in Africa: preliminary estimates of Minimum Calorie Expenditure Shares. 9-11 September 2014 African Studies Association UK-Brighton
• Picchioni F. Food Price Changes and Food Security in Mozambique: lessons from calculating the Minimum Calorie Expenditure Share. 8–10th July 2015 European Conference on African Studies – Paris, France
• Picchioni F. Impacts of food price changes on food and nutrition security: estimates of the Minimum Calorie Expenditure Share for Mozambique and Bangladesh. 20-15 July 2016 Agriculture, Nutrition and Health Academy Week – Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
• Picchioni F. Food Price shocks, food security and nutrition. 7-9 September 2016 African Studies Association UK- Cambridge
Centre for Environment, Development and Policy, SOAS (CEDEP)
Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (http://www.lcirah.ac.uk)
Agriculture, Nutrition and Health Academy (http://anh-academy.org/)