Enrolment for new students


Enrolment process for new students, starting programmes at SOAS in September 2022:

  • For Postgraduate students - 22 August 2022
  • For Undergraduate students - 7 September 2022
  • For Postgraduate Research students – 7 September 2022

Students will be sent an invitation to enrol via email.

26 September: Welcome Week - You are expected to be fully enrolled by the end of Welcome Week.
3 October: Start of Lectures - You will need to be enrolled to receive full access to course materials, timetables, and any student funding for which you may be eligible.

If you are a returning student, please follow our process for re-enrolment.

Before you start

If you are a new student enrolling on a programme starting in September 2022, please follow the enrolment process below:

If you have any questions, please contact us through SID (Student Information Desk) 

How to contact us during enrolment

PDF document, 85.45KB


Required documents

As part of your online enrolment we will ask to provide copies of the following documents. You will be unable to enrol without these:

If you are studying remotely in term 1 due to Covid restrictions and will not be able to travel to the UK you will not have to provide a visa upon enrolment. You will need to list your home address (outside the UK) as your term time address when you enrol. This will let us know you are studying remotely.

UK students

  • Passport or driving license - The driving licence can be full or provisional but the place of birth must be inside the UK.
  • Evidence of your Student funding - If you are funding your studies through student finance and have not yet been approved.

EEA students

  • Passport or EU nationality card
  • a digital share code to allow us to check your right to study in the UK. You can get a digital share code on the Gov.uk website.

International students

  • Passport and Visa (either temporary visa within your passport or full biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • Visa Approval Letter (provided by the UKVI confirming your visa and details for collection of your BRP)
  • If you are studying remotely in Term 1: you will need to include a term time address that is outside of the UK (this is how we will know you are studying remotely). If you are studying remotely, you do not need to supply any visa documents as part of enrolment.
  • If you will be studying in person in Term 1: you must provide a UK term time address.

If you’re in the process of applying for a visa, we will need to see the following instead:

  • a photocopy of the photo page of your passport; and
  • a photocopy of your current/previous visa; and
  • a copy of your visa application - This should clearly show the type of visa you’ve applied for and if it’s a Student Visa, we’ll need to see the section showing your CAS number and our sponsorship. 

If you have any questions please contact the Enrolment team via the Student Information Desk (SID)

 If you don’t hold any of these documents, we may accept other forms of photo ID - Please contact us via the Student Information Desk and we  will let you know whether your alternatives are acceptable.