Professor David Parkin
Socio-cultural anthropology with reference to eastern Africa and the Indian Ocean littoral, with reference to religion, especially Islam, economic development, cross-cultural semantics, material culture and social evolution, and healing traditions.
University of Oxford
Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology
School of Anthropology & Museum Ethnography
- Islam and medicine, with particular reference to Swahili-speaking
peoples of East Africa.
- Ethnography and history of the Swahili-speaking peoples of East
- The relationship of language development and the expression of the
senses and emotions cross-culturally and in human evolution.
- The development of a new materiality in anthropology (from objects
to human density and scale).
- Medical anthropology and the interpenetration of the social and the
biological (with Elisabeth Hsu and Stanley Ulijaszek respectively).
- Indian Ocean studies (with Zulfikar Hirji).
- Human fertility and reproduction (with Soraya Tremayne).
- The Interactive Mind (on the developing human interrelationships of
mind, body and objects with Nigel Thrift, Chris Gosden and others).
Current (with Max-Planck-Institute, Goettingen, Germany): medical diversity