Week beginning Monday 25 January 2021
- Private appointment with Maggie@SOAS (欢迎所有的学生跟亚非学院的代表人网上预约）
MS Maggie Dziem, International Recruitment Manager for China
Have a chat with Maggie, our International Recruitment Manager for China!
- Private appointment with Maggie@SOAS
Ms Maggie Dziem
Have a chat with Maggie, our International Recruitment Manager for East Asia!
- Artist talk series: Yinka Shonibare in Conversation with Gus Casely-Hayford
Yinka Shonibare, CBE and Dr Gus Casely-Hayford (Director, Smithsonian National Museum of African Art)
Yinka Shonibare, CBE, and Dr. Gus Casely-Hayford, Director of Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, will discuss Shonibare’s career path as an artist and current projects—both in the UK and internationally.
- Comparisons of a New Sino-US Cold War with the Old Soviet (Sino)-US Cold War
Professor Gilbert Rozman (Princeton University and The Asan Forum)
Professor Gilbert Rozman compares a new Sino-US Cold War with the Old Soviet (Sino)-US Cold War by differentiating a cold war into four primary dimensions: geographic, strategic, economic, and national identity.
- Mapping Kurdistan: Territory, Self-Determination and Nationalism
Zeynep Kaya (SOAS)
Since the early twentieth-century, Kurds have challenged the borders and national identities of the states they inhabit.
- Knowing and Showing Difference: Sex, Gender and Disability in Japanese Film
Forum Mithani (JRC Research Associate)
Forum Mithani discusses how contemporary Japanese film is pushing as well as reinforcing boundaries of discourse in relation to gender, sexuality and disability.
- The Illusive Quest for Structural Transformation in Africa: Will China Make a Difference?
Alemayehu Geda (Addis Ababa University)
- Yoga, accessibility and disability
- Marriage on the Road to Equality: A Taiwan Story
Professor Chen Chao-ju 陳昭如
- Cut, Paste, Patch: A Study Of Text-Image Relationship in Safavid and Mughal Single-Page Compositions
Naciem Nikkhah, Dr Malcolm McNeill, Dr Heather Elgood
Cut, Paste, Patch: A Study Of Text-Image Relationship in Safavid and Mughal Single-Page Compositions
- Launch of SOAS South East Asia Research Special Issue on the Philippine Cordillera
Rachel Harrison (SOAS), Laurence Goodchild (Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group), Cristina Martinez-Juan (SOAS)
In this launch event, we will have a conversation about publishing for SEAR in general and the Cordillera special issue in particular with Philippine studies conference organisers and participants.
- Propaganda and the Protectorate: Swedish Explorer Sven Hedin’s Visit to Korea in 1908
Dr Anders Karlsson (SOAS University of London)
This talk describes the visit Swedish explorer Sven Hedin (1865-1952) made to Korea in December 1908, and his audience with Emperor Sunjong of Korea, invited by Japan to improve the impression in the West of Japan and its activities in the region.