Dr Grace (Yu) Mou
- School of Law Senior Lecturer in Criminal Justice School of Law Intermediate Tutor (T1 & T3) China Institute Academic Staff, SOAS China Institute Member Centre for Law in Asia Member
- School of Law
- LLB (China), MA (China), Diploma (Kent), PhD (Warwick)
- Paul Webley Wing (Senate House)
- Email address
- Telephone number
- +44 (0)20 7898 4277
- Support hours
- Mondays, 12:00pm-1:00pm and 5:00pm-6:00pm (S227)
Prior to joining SOAS, Grace taught at the University of Warwick and the University of Hull.
Grace’s research interests lie primarily in Asian criminal justice, comparative criminal procedure, and socio-legal studies, especially in the country of China. Her research examines the on-going criminal justice reform in China, which is set within a broad range of contexts -- of political, occupational and legal cultures -- from the value of deference to authority, hierarchical structures, retribution and deterrence, to the integration of these into the state apparatus which determine the way state power is exercised. Her research seeks to provide a rich description of the criminal process in action, and stimulate debate of the difficult legal issues concerning the way China deals with matters relating to criminal justice and human rights.
Grace welcomes proposals from students for supervising research in the following areas:
- Criminal justice policy in a comparative context
- Criminal procedures (including investigation, public prosecution and trials)
- Policing and criminal evidence
- Criminal defence and lawyer studies
Criminal justice; criminal law; comparative criminal justice; criminal evidence; Chinese law; criminology; Asian legal systems; socio-legal studies.
Contact Grace (Yu)