- 1 year
- UK/EU fees:
- Overseas fees:
Fees for 2019/20 entrants. Please note that fees go up each year. Further details can be found in the Fees and Funding tab on this page or in the Undergraduate Tuition Fees page
- The minimum entry requirement is the ability to demonstrate the potential to study at undergraduate level. However, programmes may have their own specific requirements, such as, in the case of language-based studies, a proven ability to learn a language.
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Start of programme: September
Mode of Attendance: Full-time
This certificate is essentially equivalent to the first year of the School’s four-year BA degree in Arabic. Students acquire a solid initial knowledge of the written language and some with the spoken, and familiarise themselves with aspects of Middle Eastern history and culture. No prior knowledge of Arabic is required.
This is an intensive one-year programme of study. Two courses are taken:
Students take Arabic 1, which is equivalent to three course units. They also choose a fourth unit from the following approved units*:
- Introduction to Arabic culture
- Literatures of the Near and Middle East
- Music of the Middle East and North Africa
- Art and material culture of the Islamic world
- Mosaics, manuscripts and wall-paintings in Islamic art
- Introduction to the history of the Near and Middle East
* Please note that not every unit may be available every year.
Courses are taught during the day. Teaching begins in late September. Examinations are in May-June
Mr Mohamed I Said Convenor